Talk

Advanced search

How do you get a child to start using a sippy cup?

(7 Posts)
Lucylucy57 Wed 03-Apr-13 21:36:04

My DS is 9 months now and perhaps I've left this a bit late but how do you introduce a sippy cup? My DS enjoys water but so far from a bottle. How did you get your kids to start using a sippy cup?

Runningblue Wed 03-Apr-13 21:41:21

Just do it! Give her the water in the sippy cup on the table/ high chair tray, and see what she does, she might just play with it, or she might just get the hang of it straight away.

Doidy cups are good (just google, you can buy them from a few places) but as they are open they are a bit messier.

The cheap tommee tipee flip top sippy cups are good.

If you use avent bottles, you can buy sippy cup tops, as well as handles which you can use with your normal bottles.

Enjoy!

NannyR Wed 03-Apr-13 21:43:09

I would recommend using a free flow type cup to start with - tommee tippee do a great cheap one with a flip top and two handles. The leak proof ones tend to make babies quite frustrated, as they have to suck quite hard to get the water out.

ChazDingle Thu 04-Apr-13 11:04:20

My DS took ages to get the hang of it and it wasn't till he was about 15 or 16 months that he actually 'drank' although before then he'd have a few sips. I also recommend the tommee tippee basic cup with the flip top lid. We had another tommee tippee one first that is supposed to be from 4 months and i found that because it was quite big if you filled it up it was too heavy to tip and if you didn't fill it up it was difficult for DS to tip back enough for the drink to come out of the bottom. The TT basic cups are quite small so didn't have that problem.

Lucylucy57 Thu 04-Apr-13 19:30:47

Thank you everyone! I've tried him with a tommy tippy cup this afternoon and he seems to be getting there slowly. These minor things seem like such a challenge when it's your first baby and you don't know what you're doing!

jessebuni Thu 04-Apr-13 20:49:42

my DD is 9 months and has been using one for about a month now. Just keep offering it to him and if he gets frustrated offer the bottle second. It's just practise, offer it before the bottle everytime and eventually he'll be a pro it just takes getting used to.

vez123 Thu 04-Apr-13 20:56:15

We also used (and still use now when out and about at nearly 3) the free flow TT cups.
We just always offered it alongside every single meal but it took months for him to get a hang of it. I think I used to help with the sipping especially when I started reducing the daily breastfeeds coming up to 10-12 months. Eventually he just started helping himself - but by now it is all in a blur when exactly and how - these things just happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now