Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2yo refusing to drink and we're in stand-off - help!

(22 Posts)
DIYandEatCake Wed 03-Apr-13 20:49:26

We really struggle to get 2yo dd to drink enough. It's especially important at the moment as she is being treated for long-term constipation/withholding, and we've been told by doctors that we must make her drink more. We've tried gentle persuasion, play, praise, always drink lots in front of her, have tried lots of different cups, straws, milk or diluted juice for some drinks, and have now resorted to saying that she must finish her (small half sippy cup) of water before having pudding or getting down from the table. It worked... Til yesterday and today.

She refused to drink tonight and so dp and I ate one of her favourite puddings (mango) in front of her, with several reminders she could have some if she drank her water. Tantrum. After further encouragement, and refusal, we left her at the table (in the next room, can hear her and see her on monitor). She has sat there, screaming to start with, now chatting and singing to herself, for an hour and three quarters. We're going in every 5 mins and reminding her that she needs to drink her drink to get down from the table - still a complete refusal. Aargh! Anyone got any suggestions on what to do now?!

CreatureRetorts Wed 03-Apr-13 20:50:53

What happens if you ignore it? So put the drink down and do nothing if she doesn't drink?

DIYandEatCake Wed 03-Apr-13 20:55:13

Bugger all, unfortunately.

pawnstar Wed 03-Apr-13 20:56:49

It sounds like its kind of got out of hand , she is getting a lot of attention from the not drinking enough that she may be playing on it, for more attention?

One of my DD`s is terribly stubborn and it wouldn't matter what we did or took away she would stand her ground.

Maybe bring her on a shopping trip and let her pick out a cup for herself, to disney store or somewhere exciting where she could pick a special one.
Or introduce a little sticker chart and give her a little reward at the end of the day after maybe 5 stickers... each one earn when she drinks what you measure out for her?

pawnstar Wed 03-Apr-13 20:58:07

You could also add little shaped ice cubes to the drink to make it more exciting .. im amazed how much kids enjoy ice cubes!

forevergreek Wed 03-Apr-13 20:59:12

I wouldn't worry and give her liquid through her food.

So ice lollys/ watermelon/ oranges etc have lots of liquid in. Deserts like jelly/ cucumber snacks etc..

Sure she should drink more but she will get what he needs from watery food also. Can you also add etc milk to cereal etc.

Then just put a drink in front of her at table but say nothing. If she drinks great, but I wouldn't force as it could make the issue worse

What about ice lollies? She wouldn't realise how much fluid she was taking in.

CreatureRetorts Wed 03-Apr-13 21:00:05

How long have you tried ignoring?

I'd also try bribery too! Stickers are like gold dust for some 2 year olds.

MoonlightandRoses Wed 03-Apr-13 21:01:15

That must be very frustrating all round. Does she eat cereal? You could try building up the amount of milk you're using on that for a small increase maybe?

Small child here will also sometimes go for ice cubes rather than water, but could easily crunch through a small bowlful - maybe make up cubes with a treat in the middle (say a small bit of mango if she likes that) and see if you can make a game over who can suck their way through to the fruit first?

MoonlightandRoses Wed 03-Apr-13 21:06:44

Oops - x-post with just about everyone else!

DIYandEatCake Wed 03-Apr-13 22:15:02

Thanks, I will try ice cubes in drink for a bit of novelty, hadn't thought of that. She picked a special new cup a couple of weeks ago, used it for a day then refused to have anything to do with it. Sadly she doesn't like ice lollies or jelly and doesn't seem to give a stuff about stickers. She really does need to take in much more fluid - I used to let her drink what she liked and give her lots of watery fruit, soup etc but it's not enough and she needs to drink well for the medication she's on.

After 2 and a half hours we struck a compromise, she agreed to drink it sitting on my knee. She's now in bed completely shattered.

damnitdamnit Wed 03-Apr-13 22:34:35

Tea set in the bath. Not ideal but mine do tend to drink a lot of bath water shock I try to fill up the teapot with fresh tap but they end up drinking bath water anyway.

DIYandEatCake Wed 03-Apr-13 22:37:02

damitthank you you've just made me laugh! Made me remember when dd was little and had to have medicine for reflux and woukdn't take it, we joked that we should just bath her in the stuff...!

doyouwantfrieswiththat Wed 03-Apr-13 22:42:00

I have used the dosing syringe from calpol to give mine fluid (recurrent tonsilitis so the pain makes ds1 reluctant to drink) and they seem to find that a good game to play themselves.

mamij Wed 03-Apr-13 22:42:40

Try carrying the cup around with you, give it to her unawares e.g. When she's playing/watching tv.

dozily Wed 03-Apr-13 22:42:52

Have you tried milkshake or squash? I realise you may be trying to limit sugar but it sounds as if fluid is more important at the moment.

LadyWidmerpool Wed 03-Apr-13 22:47:28

How about making smoothies together? She could pick the ingredients, put them in the blender etc. You could dilute it while she's not looking.

LadyWidmerpool Wed 03-Apr-13 22:48:59

Also have you tried diluting juice with fizzy water? That might make it more exciting and grown up.

Kithulu Wed 03-Apr-13 22:49:03

mine used to enjoy drinking out of pint glasses! Just keep it lighthearted and silly, perhaps one day serve her a drink in a saucer and get her to pretend to be a cat!
When my DS wont eat his veg, we sometimes ask him to guard his carrots as there is a 'carrot stealing goblin/badger' running around. Then while DH and me are 'hunting for the badger he giggles lots and stuffs them in his mouth, then... agh they have gone! he stole them! Watch out he will steal that brocolli next! etc etc until enough has gone.
Not every day of course, chop and change lots.

Kithulu Wed 03-Apr-13 22:51:05

Oh yes and tea parties where she can pour from tea pot into little fairy cup! (on a tray to catch drips)

Goldmandra Thu 04-Apr-13 22:38:36

I would stop trying to make her drink because it's a battle you can never win. It will probably just make her drink less.

Have you tried drinking your own drinks from one of those long curly straws? If they are new to her don't offer it to her, just use it yourself and then pretend to leave it where she can get it by accident. Reverse psychology like this can be very successful.

You could also try leaving two drinks out, one hers and one yours then tell her not to drink yours while you pop to the loo. When you come back feign surprise and tickle her for being cheeky.

Syringes and tea sets are really good too as long as she leads it, not you.

Also a little bit of chocolate can be good for making them thirsty.

DIYandEatCake Fri 05-Apr-13 13:30:19

Thanks. I calmed down and avoided any stand-offs yesterday, fortunately it was a day she was happy to drink from a sports bottle and enough got drunk. I'm as stubborn as her sometimes, need to chill a bit. Thanks for the ideas, am storing these up to use next time she refuses anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now