Talk

Advanced search

Putting baby into his own room?

(6 Posts)
Nicole2781 Thu 28-Mar-13 14:02:46

Hi,

My DS is nearly 6months old. He used to sleep ok in the night maybe waking up 1 or 2 times which was lovely but the past 2-3 weeks his sleeping has been awful waking up up to 10 times. He just won't settle and it takes us ages to get him back down. He seems to sleep so much better if we put him in our bed but I really want to avoid this.

Do you think it's worth a try putting him in his own room now? I just don't know what we're doing wrong or why he is finding it difficult to sleep.

Any advice is much appreciated as I'm really struggling to know what to do x

PhyllisDoris Thu 28-Mar-13 14:07:25

I would say he is well ready for his own room at 6 months. It might cause more hassle in the short term, but saves making a rod for your own back in the long term!

Iggly Thu 28-Mar-13 14:30:46

There's a growth spurt and developmental leap at 6 months.

Not sure you'd be making a rod for your back by keeping them in your room a little longer. If you do move them, I'd set up a bed in their room in case they're still unsettled.

Nicole2781 Thu 28-Mar-13 15:26:42

Thank you for both replies smile

So do you think the 6month growth spurt and development leap could be affecting him now? Is this a common thing to happen during this time?

Havingkitties Thu 28-Mar-13 16:19:09

Mine and my friends babies all went a bit nuts at 6 months, waking up frequently at night, feeding more (all fitting in with growth spurt and developmental leaps), being more clingy. And then also the separation anxiety can also start as this age.
I would hold off putting him in his own room until he's settled, which may be a week or two. But by holding off for a little but you don't do any damage and you won't make a rod for your own back.
TBH we did controlled crying at 6 months which worked really well at settling mine in his own room, then went backwards when he had a growth spurt and had to hold off the controlled crying for a couple of weeks, then we started again and he's still good at napping in his cot. There are always little setbacks like growth spurts, coughs and colds etc but they get back on track with a little nudge from you after they've got over it.

Nicole2781 Thu 28-Mar-13 16:30:39

Thanks for the reply smile

Yes I think he's started with the superstition anxiety as sometimes when he's see one of us leaving the room he will cry sad

He's very clingy atm also so it all does seen to be this development leap. Glad it's not just me this has happened to I really thought I was doing something wrong so I feel a lot better.

Will hold off the room move for a couple of weeks then and see if he's more settled by then and go from there. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now