Talk

Advanced search

A suitable chair for growing 5mth old

(10 Posts)
milkyman Tue 26-Mar-13 12:57:07

He's not so interested in his chair anymore and not keen on his bumbo. He is trying to sit so would like a chair that he can sit up in. he loves his bouncy chair, but its on the last buckle! Does anyone have any ideas. Obviously he had a high chair but we need something that he can use in the lounge.

milkyman Tue 26-Mar-13 12:57:57

His current chair is slanted so he can't sit upright in it.

ENSMUM Tue 26-Mar-13 12:59:29

The floor?

SkiBumMum Tue 26-Mar-13 13:01:36

He will be sitting himself soon enough! Have you got one of those donut rings they sit & play in? Gives them a bit more support / protection than a cushion behind them. Once sitting well the Ikea kids table and chairs is great for drawing etc.

alwayslateforwork Tue 26-Mar-13 13:06:04

Yup. He doesn't need a chair. He needs to learn to sit unaided over the next few months on something that doesn't move, topple, or isn't v far away. The floor is perfect. Pad with cushions, towels and stuff if you are watching him and it isn't going to be a suffocation hazard.

A chair? For a 5 mo? I assumed it was to support him for moving on to weaning whilst you were at the dinner table...

Most babies go through that straining to be upright thing. It's why when they want to be on the move they need to be able to, and also why it's a bad idea to actually use an upright chair that they are nowhere near developmentally ready for at this age.

Your 5mo does not need another chair. He's just learning that his body can do other stuff, and wants to try it out. V normal.

milkyman Tue 26-Mar-13 13:17:18

Thank u! Sorry, its just he loves his mothercare chair as it sits grabbing dangly teddies etc.. but I see your point about the floor! This motherhood business is so new to me, you must think me very stupid!

jinxdragon Tue 26-Mar-13 13:26:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anonymosity Tue 26-Mar-13 14:39:59

not stupid at all milkyman - logical
when he's about 12- 18 months he can sit on one of those tiny chairs they make for children that go around a tiny table. Early Learning Centre or IKEA are good options for non-expensive children's chairs.

Thurlow Tue 26-Mar-13 14:55:58

5 months is still too young for a chair (though I had exactly the same thought as you at that age!) and he will be sitting on his own very soon.

At 11m we got the Ikea kid's Poang chair and DD just adores it, its good for sitting and for climbing all over.

I don't know whether a toddler beanbag would be any help? I haven't used one personally, maybe someone else has - they might be appropriate for settling a younger baby in to, as long as you were watching them?

milkyman Tue 26-Mar-13 16:15:01

Sorry, when I said chair I meant one of those padded mothercare things that u buy for babies not an actual chair iyswim smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now