Talk

Advanced search

Behavioural optometry

(5 Posts)
chlosoph Tue 26-Mar-13 10:56:09

I have a six year old daughter,(June she be 7) I am a worried mum as teacher says she is behind in most things I have busted a gut trying to bring her forward as some times I think maybe it's my fault some how, as I have a 10 year old who is a year above her age in all her work. ( I seem to compare my oldest daughter with my youngest with what she did at this age.) I was told last week that maybe I should take her to a Behavioural optometrist, she does wear glasses and as a regular check up I'm also taking her this week to dr's to check her hearing. (incase she as glue ear.) I have been in touch with one and they are quite a bit expensive. Are they any good, and what do they do?

Stephanie16 Tue 26-Mar-13 12:00:29

I think we all tend to compare when we have 2 children I do the same with my 2 children. I do the same I compared them from the start and still do. What we have to remember is noone has two children who develop indentically. I am sure more mums will tell you how different each of their child and sometimes we have to accept that. Is her teacher worried that she is really behind or have any other concerns? In general how is she?

MRSJWRTWR Tue 26-Mar-13 14:53:18

I have a similar age gap between my two boys DS2 will be 7 in June and DS1 is nearly 14.

I too, am finding it difficult to stop comparing the two, mainly because DS1 was academically much further ahead at this age than DS2, particularly in maths, and I worry now and again. However, I try to remind myself that of course you cant/shouldnt compare two very different children and there are other areas where DS2 is stronger. (plus maybe he takes after me rather than DH as I was useless at maths as well).

DS2 has had problems with concentration in class and with writing in particular and has had help from an OT with this (he was referred by his old school).

Funnily enough, we took DS1 to a behavioural optometrist on the advice of his secondary school. He was found to have bad tracking problems, which meant reading and writing was very hard work for him. Although, he achieves well in maths and sciences etc anything that requires more written work is a problem. However, after wearing glasses for 9 months this corrected the problem and he has improved no end. He now reads for pleasure for instance.

I am intending to take DS2 for a check up next Autumn as our behavioural optometrist likes the children to be at least 7 before assessing.

It is worth investigating all these things but it might be that she is just taking longer to get to grips with it all. DS2s reading has come on leaps and bounds all of a sudden for instance.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 26-Mar-13 19:33:21

We have used a BO for our Dd's 2 and 3, they both have different visual issues Dd2 has tracking issues and is dyslexic and Dd3 has visual perception issues.

They both have/had coloured lenses in their glasses and Dd2 did lots of excersises to imorove her tracking. Her reading age and speed went up dramatically after a few months work.

It isnt cheap but for us it was the right thing to do.
If you are anywhere near the Midlands have a look at Aston university visual sciences. It is quite a bit cheaper.

Good lucksmile

breatheslowly Tue 26-Mar-13 22:14:07

Is your 10 yo a summer born like your younger one? Being one of the younger ones in her year group may be a disadvantage to her and should be taken into account, especially in the early years of school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now