Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2yo with poo issues

(5 Posts)
DIYandEatCake Mon 25-Mar-13 21:44:33

Dd (just turned 2) has always tended towards being constipated but for the last few months I think has been holding poo in when she needs to go. She will go somewhere private, and stand kind of 'banana shaped' with bum clenched and hips pushed to one side, whimpering. She will do this intermittently for up to 4 days, getting more and more withdrawn and miserable until eventually a ginormous poo comes out, then will be happy and carefree for the next day or two til the cycle starts again.

She's on lactulose but it's got less effective and still goes a few days between poos. We make her drink several small cups of water a day, as recommended by the doctor. She eats lots of fruits and has a pretty good balanced diet really.

She also gets stressed when her nappy's wet and wants it changed straight away - but point blank refuses to try sitting on the potty or toilet. I hate seeing her lose so much time when she could be playing and learning to worrying about poo... But don't know what to do to help.

WipsGlitter Mon 25-Mar-13 21:47:07

Movicol. Laculose is a softener, movicol makes them go.

myhandslooksoold Mon 25-Mar-13 21:55:19

Oh my goodness this is my daughter 8 months ago and it got much much worse.
Get on top of this now, get to the doctor and get movicol and lactulose and get her into a routine where she has to poo every day or every other day. For my dd this is now 7.5ml lactulose and a sachet of movicol every day. And even then she will try her best to hold it in and we have to sit on the potty for an hour (or more) to produce one.
If you have a tablet there are some fantastic apps that have helped my dd, potty time is one of them, see me potty, potty girl are others.
I am so in the same place as you on this, especially re seeing her so unhappy and preoccupied

DIYandEatCake Tue 26-Mar-13 21:08:35

Thanks for the advice and experience, especially myhands. Been to the doctors again today armed with cameraphone photo of ginormous solid poo (nice!) and have now got movicol instead of lactulose. Fingers crossed.

myhandslooksoold Tue 26-Mar-13 22:06:07

If you want to pm me to talk further please do, I would love to help as I wish I'd taken action sooner to prevent it from getting as bad as it did. Well done for picking it up so quickly.
Just one other piece of advice, dont come off the medication too quickly. Movicol and lactulose is very safe, better to stay on it for months and months and have regular bm's

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now