Talk

Advanced search

Bit of an odd one - picking face

(8 Posts)
redandyellowandpinkandgreen Mon 25-Mar-13 18:13:44

DS is 28 months and has had a habit for ages for picking his face, over and over. About October time he had a little spot or something on his cheek and he kept picking, it was a comfort thing, he would do it when dropping off to sleep. It took months to stop him. Eventually we resorted to a cream from the nurse and we covered it with a plaster and it did clear. But has scared quite badly.

Now he's found something else to pick at, it's on his nose so harder to cover. He knows he shouldn't do it and this morning waited until I was in the loo to pick and it bleeds quite badly. I find it quite upsetting that he'd damage his little face like this. I've tried explaining to him, we put cream on in case it's sore, I've cut his nails as short as I can get them. Will cover when possible (but he can take a plaster off if he wants). He went to the nurse but that wasn't much help. Any other ideas? I'm worried abut the scarring.

frazmum Tue 26-Mar-13 07:04:04

My DS used to do that - just as we got one spot cleared up he'd start on another one. We put on a plaster especially at night as though he could take it off it reminded him he shouldn't do it. Also try a star chart or buy a toy that is made up of lots of little parts (like a zoo set) and each day he leaves it, he gets another one.

dancemom Tue 26-Mar-13 07:09:38

There was an episode of Jo Frosts Parental Guidance focusing on this if I remember correctly, maybe have a look online for it?
She advised giving them a large blusher brush to rub the spot with to discourage picking I think??

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Tue 26-Mar-13 12:32:15

Thank you, the reward thing is a good idea, why didn't I think of that? I think he'd buy in to it. And I'll have a look for the Jo Frost episode.

GwennieF Tue 26-Mar-13 12:34:39

No advice I'm afraid, my DS (4) does the same thing....

Will try the sticker chart!

TheCountessOlenska Tue 26-Mar-13 16:32:41

We have this too! Always good to know you're not alone smile

DD (3) does it when she's going to sleep - my tactic is keeping her nails really short and putting the cream on at night (she won't let me near it in the day time). It's only ever a few but once we get them cleared up, she starts again

ChazDingle Tue 26-Mar-13 21:15:47

i was going to mention the Jo Frost programme as well. I remember the little girl on that was causing scars on her face from picking it and her mum was really upset about it. She was doing it as a habit when she was doing things like watching TV, going to sleep. They gave her a blusher brush to rub on her face instead as it created a nice sensation and it seemed to work for them.

cocoplops Tue 26-Mar-13 21:34:33

Have you been to the GP to make sure its not a skin infection? My DS at around 2yo was picking at little spots and making them irritated and bleed. A spot would appear in a random place and then he would pick and pick at it. I thought it was more of a behavioural thing as he tended to do it going to sleep etc. Covered it with plasters and got some antibiotic cream from the Dr's. As he kept getting these spots I asked to be referred to a dermatologist privately, but GP suggested we try a dose of oral antibiotics (had tried antibiotic cream, and antibiotic cream with steroids over a 6 month period) and that sorted it out completely. It looked scarred for quite a while and I can still see vague old marks on his skin now 5 years later, but very, very faint. Anyway, might be worth going to the Dr's if you haven't already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now