Talk

Advanced search

22 month old obsessed with bottle

(7 Posts)
pinkladyslipper Mon 25-Mar-13 11:25:36

Hi, DC1 is almost 22 months old. We had him drinking from sippy cups early on so when DC2 came along 9 months ago he was only having a bottle in the morning and at night. With DC2 on bottles we didnt want to withdraw DC1s bottle completely as we thought a new sibling was enough change. However in the past few weeks he has become obsessed with bottles, asking for them all day long. Daytime is easy enough to placate him as he drinks from cups and can be distracted. He is now waking (from habit no doubt) at all hours, it could be 1am or 4am screaming for a bottle at the top of his voice. This has us all awake. He will only settle with a bottle, not with a sippy cup. We are exhausted from it. Has anyone any suggestions as to how we get can we git rid of the habit?

Goldmandra Mon 25-Mar-13 11:39:24

Have you tried giving him water in the bottle?

Bumpsadaisie Mon 25-Mar-13 11:51:55

Watch with interest - my DS is 17 mths and won't settle in the night without a bottle. We have to take two empty bottles and a flask to bed with us.

We are away over Easter but after that, provided he is not ill (again) or suffering with teeth, we are thinking about weaning him off it.

The things I've read about are offering water in the bottle, offering milk in a cup, or gradually reducing the amount in the bottle till there is only a drop. Plus, when he complains, doing the gradual withdrawal thing till he falls asleep. I've found pick up put down shhhhhhhh and rubbing tummy works ok.

pinkladyslipper Mon 25-Mar-13 21:31:36

Thanks for replies. I have offered him water, very diluted juice and all I get is a very loud scream in return! He asked lots today for a bottle but I just handed him his beaker which he accepted. He had his bottle going to bed. I have reduced the amount of milk and increased water in it so I am hoping to gradually make it water only. We will see what happens tonight....

Goldmandra Tue 26-Mar-13 09:11:52

How did you get on last night?

pinkladyslipper Tue 26-Mar-13 21:17:27

Hi, been a long (but good) day. He woke at 6.15 thismorning so we didn't have the bottle issue with him during the night. He asked lots today but I just gave him his sippy cup which he accepted. From 5 pm it started non stop! We gave it at 6 pm as it was wind down time as i thought he would nod off by 7. We put him into bed at 7.30. He is asleep and hopefully will stay that way! Lets see what tonight brings!

Goldmandra Tue 26-Mar-13 21:52:34

Fingers crossed! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now