Talk

Advanced search

Bottom Shufflers, how to get them pulling up and walking?

(11 Posts)
mrsrvc Sat 23-Mar-13 20:08:44

My Dd is 14mo and has bottom shuffled since 9mo. She has just started showing real interest in pulling up and walking holding hands but really struggles with both. I know shufflers tend to be late walkers and she will probably get there in their own time, but does anyone have any hints on if there is anything I can do to help her along??? She's so frustrated by it all.

grants1000 Sat 23-Mar-13 20:26:40

do you have wooden floors or similar that make it easier for her to bum shuffle?

mrsrvc Sat 23-Mar-13 20:30:58

Yes. Not a single carpet... I put her in little shoes which seems to help. There probably isn't much I can do but it would be great to get any ideas.

LimeFlower Sat 23-Mar-13 23:04:41

Have you tried baby walker?
On the brighter side you can still keep your side light beside bed grin.According to my friends and family most of bottom shufflers turned into late walkers-they were more stable on their feet than the early ones so had less bruises and abrasions.

ZuleikaD Sun 24-Mar-13 06:17:40

Gross motor skills can't be taught - they're inherited. Nothing you can do to speed up the process, unfortunately! The frustration will help - the crosser she gets the more she'll want to do it!

Nancyclancy Sun 24-Mar-13 20:23:31

I agree with Zuleika. My dd is a well established bum shuffler and she's almost 23 months. She has in the last couple of months learnt to crawl which has helped her overall movement.
She has been seen by paediatricians/physio had X-rays and blood tests and there is nothing wrong with her.

She'll stand for ages, walk holding our hands perfectly. But will not pull herself up. It is so frustrating!

But my sister and her 4 dd were all exactly the same. I really can't do anything more to help her.

I'm told she'll do it in her own time, so who knows when that'll be??

CelticPromise Sun 24-Mar-13 20:26:57

My DS was a bum shuffler, he walked just before he turned two. He was also premature and a bit slow to do everything. He got really fast at the bum shuffle before he walked though smile I wouldn't worry. She'll get there.

Karoleann Sun 24-Mar-13 21:39:27

My little bumshuffler DD walked at 18months.
Both my boys were walking by 1, so I do sympathise, it's soooo frustrating, but there really isn't much you can do about it.

grants1000 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:33:36

We had wooden floors everywhere with DS1 now 11 and he walked at 16 months, with DS2 now 6 we lived in a different house with carpets and he walked at 13 months - today, both walk and run and boot a football very well indeed! Could the wooden floors and carpet be a factor? Maybe, maybe not. They are different children after all, your DD is not a 'late walker' in the sense she is behind or there is something wrong, if you want your mind put at rest go see your GP or health visitor. She is just happy doing what she is doing, she will soo be walking, then running off left, right and centre and you will be out of puff keeping up with her.

steben Tue 26-Mar-13 20:16:12

DD1 was a bum shuffler and walked at 18 months - I was beginning to think it would never happen but she literally just one day stood up and started walking! Don't worry she will get there.

OneToThree Tue 26-Mar-13 21:15:11

My bum shuffler walked at 17 months. Very frustrating but they get there when they're ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now