loader

Talk

Advanced search

Crawling (paranoid mother alert!!)

(101 Posts)
pamina Tue 15-Jan-02 12:58:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmmaM Tue 15-Jan-02 13:21:42

Don't worry. My niece was always happy just to sit and made no effort to move herself around at all. I don't think she ever did crawl. She went straight into pulling herself up and cruised around the furniture at around 12 months and I think she finally took her first unaided steps at 14/15 months. My other niece in comparison was toddling along at 10 months. They're all different. I think we have this traditional idea of a crawling baby, when in fact, they use a variety of methods to propel themselves along. Your daughter gets where she wants to be, gets what she wants in her manner that works for her!

bells2 Tue 15-Jan-02 13:26:58

Good friend's baby is 10 months and showing no signs of crawling although likes standing (while supported).

wendym Tue 15-Jan-02 14:05:02

one of my family didn't crawl at all - just bottom shuffled. I've been told bottom shufflers tend to walk a bit later. If you want to encourage her a baby bouncer may get her used to feeling her feet.

Pupuce Tue 15-Jan-02 14:15:31

My nephew - 12 months old - doesn't crawl, doesn't try to pull himself up (does not have enough strength to stand on his legs), can't even sit up (he can sit unaided but cannot go from lying to sitting), so basically doesn't move 1 inch from his sitting position. If he falls onto his face he will cry so that we pick him up to sit him again. I believe he can roll... I have to say that I did find him a bit "behind" but I guess he is busy developing other skills...

Amanda1 Tue 15-Jan-02 14:57:35

Message withdrawn

Marina Tue 15-Jan-02 15:06:31

Pamina, apart from one forward missy who was practically running at age 1, all of my NCT Group babies were still rolling about on the floor at 9.5 months, or pulling themselves up a little at the most. And they were all strolling about by 15-16 months. Wendym is right about bottom-shufflers being later, I know one who did not take his first unsupported steps until 22 months, and was otherwise meeting all his milestones at the usual time.

JanZ Tue 15-Jan-02 15:37:05

My ds only started rolling at about 9/10 months and used that as his primary means of getting places for the next 2-3 months. He was delayed in crawling by the fact that he couldn't get to sitting from his stomach (or back again - unless he toppled over!) - but he did get there eventually!

I know what you mean about being able to leave the baby safe in one place - although he did learn to roll very fast, and even swivel, so that he could "go round corners"!

Ds is now 16 months and only just (as in, within the week) started to walk unsupported. Only a few steps at a time, and he still prefers to crawl - but again, he is getting there!

They all do it in their own good time. The whole point about averages is that they are just that - averages. For every child who crawls/walks 3 months "early", there has to be a child who walks 3 months "late".

By the time they get to school, they're all running anyway!

janh Tue 15-Jan-02 20:32:03

Pamina, one of mine sat until she was 12 months and didn't walk until 18 months. (I was even later walking so it probably is genetic.)

She is 16 now and can still walk (most of the time!)

wendym Wed 16-Jan-02 11:02:12

Pupuce Don't want to worry you but your nephew may have a minor problem from what you say about lack of strength. I have a niece with a walking problem. When I was trying to help her parents find information on the net I learnt that there are children with muscle tone problems. He may benefit from some therapy so for the nephew a discussion with the gp wouldn't do any harm.

There's a big difference between 9.5 and not crawling and 12 months and lacking muscle tone - this isn't meant to apply to anyone else.

Pupuce Wed 16-Jan-02 11:08:34

Thanks Wendym... I agree but how do you tell your SIL !!! Without sounding critical or making her feel like she doesn't know as much. She (IMO) has a bit of an inferiority complex. She told me at X-mas (2 weeks before her son turned 1) that he might walk at 13 mo (my son did at that age)... She hasn't given him any protein in his diet (he is quite thin-according to her 1 kg under what he should be).... and she thinks her GP is crap ! (He has told her that her son was too thin but he has also prescribed antibiotics for a minor infection and she thought that was OTT- which I agree with)

Joe1 Wed 16-Jan-02 11:50:15

Pamina, my son used do commando everywhere and didnt really crawl until around 11-12 months and walking at 14 months.

wendym Wed 16-Jan-02 13:20:09

Pupuce - how about raising it with brother instead? You could show him this bit below about benign congenital hypotonia. Some parents are experimenting with giving these children more protein as there are suggestions diet may help. It's a condition that does tend to improve with age but its still said that early diagnosis is best.

"Signs and symptoms
Children with BCH are quite hypotonic as infants with very flexible joints; this presents many problems for the child. It is difficult for the child to maintain head control or a sitting position. Parents handle their infants with hypotonia gingerly as they develop head control quite late. They feel fragile and limp like rag dolls and are unable to bear weight on their legs. The child with BCH may slide out or fall over in a high chair. Positioning of the infant for feeding is a particular challenge for parents as the child lacks head and chest control and exhibits low tone in the face and mouth. Sucking, chewing and swallowing are difficult for these infants and toddlers. Drooling food and saliva from the mouth is common and may persist in the school age child."

Janus Wed 16-Jan-02 13:20:10

My daughter didn't crawl until 10 months, nearly 11. She used to roll all over the place though to get where she wanted!! She also didn't walk until she was 16 months old and I was getting so fed up with strangers saying 'oohh, she isn't walking yet', like they're never going to walk!! As you say, enjoy it while it lasts!

Pupuce Wed 16-Jan-02 13:29:28

Wendym... I don't think he is as bad as described... he can sit up well and has no problem in a high chair but he won't eat anything which isn'tcompletely pureed... he just does not want lumps. Where can I get more info on this disorder ?

LisaV Wed 16-Jan-02 13:38:47

My HV told me to take my dd to a doctor as she was not pulling herself up at the age of 17 months. She has never crawled and was never particularly keen on rolling, I don't think she mastered that until she was 1! Then at 14 months she started to walk, so she went from sitting to walking with no inbetweens! Even now when she falls over she can get herself back into a sitting position but she cannot pull herself up.

I chose to ignore the HV as I know she is strong in other ways and the fact that she is walking without a problem proves to me that there is nothing wrong with her muscles. I feel that it is more to do with a lack of co-ordination. She doesn't know how to place her legs in the best position for pulling herself up. It is the same with crawling, she simply doesn't know what to do with her legs. But she is slowly learning and has managed to pull herself up whilst holding onto us a couple of times now - at 18 months!!

I am going to start taking her to TumbleTots to try and improve her confidence and agility. I suggest you ask about groups in your area Pamina and perhaps Pupuce you could suggest to your brother that his child would benefit from them too.

pamina Wed 16-Jan-02 13:51:01

Pupuce Wed 16-Jan-02 14:11:25

LisaV this sounds reassuring.... my BIL is in Switzerland unfortunately but I'll try to bring up the subject. I do know their son goes to the swimming pool.
Maybe now I should start a thread (or check for an existing one) on 1 yo who will only eat smooth pureed food....

JanZ Wed 16-Jan-02 14:45:39

I'm told by MIL that dh didn't eat ANY solids until 14 months - and then only because his godmother (a matron at a big teaching hospital)put him across her knee, blocked his nose and shovelled some food in. (When told this, he said "I knew there was a reason why I never liked her"!)

He's now a healthy 42, whose hobby is fine wine and gourmet food!

wendym Thu 17-Jan-02 12:48:42

Pupuce the problem is that hypotonia can be a symptom of a lot of different disorders and some of them quite nasty. Now I don't for one moment imagine your nephew has any of them (would have been spotted by now) but it makes it difficult to find websites about children who just have poor muscle tone. My best suggestion is to go to www.parentsplace.com/messageboards where under children's health there is a hypotonia board. You can ask the mothers there how you tell if you need to take it further. They are American but that means you draw on a wider range of experience. Probably he just needs a bit more protein in his diet - maybe he'd eat mashed beans?

Pupuce Thu 17-Jan-02 13:08:52

I agree, he needs protein. His mum will now give him meat twice a week ! She has said that she was keeping an eye on him but feels the GP is crap.
I'll look at that website. Thanks wendym

mollipops Fri 18-Jan-02 07:41:23

Hi Pamina (and everyone else too!) I don't think 9.5 months is a concern at all (I think the average age for crawling is actually around 9 months anyway!), but I would certainly be trying to encourage the rolling and shuffling around, tempting her with her favourite toy, placing her in new environments she might want to explore.

I used to be worried about my dd too...she was very late though, commandoed at 12 months, crawled on all 4's at around 14 months and then walked at around 16 or 17 months. She always seemed to lack good muscle control, but everyone always tries to reassure you, don't worry they all develop at their own rate, she'll crawl/walk when she is ready etc etc. Now she is 5 and the school found she has "gross motor skill delay"; partly for this reason she has been kept back from Year 1 this year...now I have the guilt thing about "should I have done more?" and so on...It turns out she WAS developmentally delayed in this area (but she was a very good talker early on, so I think we used this to justify her lack of interest in moving around)...anyway I guess I'm not wanting to scare/worry you, but I think TumbleTots would be an excellent idea, and encourage any kind of balance and movement.

I have to disagree with Amanda, crawling is a very important skill and milestone developmentally, as it involves using both sides of the body and helps with coordination etc.

And Pupuce, yes I think your nephew could need some physical therapy of some kind...a friend of ours had a baby with "floppy infant syndrome" which sounds similar to what wendym describes...is it the same thing?

chiara71 Fri 18-Jan-02 22:26:50

Pamina,

many babies never crawl and progress directly to walking.
I've read many baby care books, and they all say that crawling is in no way a milestone like sitting up or walking, every baby will do these things (in their own time) but may never crawl. (My niece never crawled)

pamina Sat 19-Jan-02 09:49:03

pamina Sat 19-Jan-02 12:48:29

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now