Talk

Advanced search

When did your toddler feel ok with toddler bed?

(8 Posts)
Littleraysofsunshine Thu 17-Jan-13 22:02:41

Dd is 2.2months. Thinking of making the transition. Tips?smile

matana Thu 17-Jan-13 23:27:34

Tbh it was fine, but then I kind of knew it would be as DS loves sleep and on a few occasions has asked to go to bed when he's tired! I think if you wait till the time is right it's easier. Ds switched just after Christmas when he was 2.1. I waited till all the excitement was over and was sure there was no teething, illness or a phase of separation anxiety. He seemed ready. Did the bedtime routine as usual and treated it as normal, gave him his teddies etc. Didn't make a big deal out of it, but the following morning I made a big fuss of him and told him how great he had done sleeping in his big boy bed. We had a few mornings of early waking, about 6am, and he realised he had the freedom to get up and ask for "mummy's bed". I gave him a kiss and big cuddle and returned him to his bed until a more sociable time. One morning I had to do that 3 times but the following day he was back to sleeping 7.30 ish till 7.30 ish.

matana Thu 17-Jan-13 23:29:10

Oh, and do it when she's had a busy day and you know she's tired and really ready for bed.

duchesse Thu 17-Jan-13 23:33:06

DD3 was the latest on the dot of 2. She'd been vaulting out of her cot for about a year by then, in the mould of her brother and sisters, so really moving them to a bed was a damage limitation exercise. DS furthermore discovered that he could shake his cot apart at the corner by the age of 13 m so he went in a bed at 16 m.

MoleyMick Fri 18-Jan-13 09:20:14

I was worried about this as ds lived his cot. We put a toddler bed in DS bedroom with the cot and would read books and play on it so he liked it first, then start asking if he wanted to sleep in it for his day sleeps, then would say things like, shall we move the cot now do you have more space? He said no a few times, but one day he said yes so I seized the moment and moved it into dd's room. (Just in nick of time as she was ready to move from basinett!) We have had no problems.
Oh, we also went on a special shopping trip to buy new bedding etc do he was excited about that.

MoleyMick Fri 18-Jan-13 09:20:34

Loved his cot, not lived...

Girlsville Fri 18-Jan-13 13:43:35

Dd1 moved at2.9, straight into a single bed. We had bogged it up for a while before, she chose one of her bedding sets and we told her the night before that it was the last night of her cot. She loves her bed and now asks to go to bed before her younger sister. I think if you wait til they seem ready then it is very smooth. Good luck!!

Littleraysofsunshine Sat 19-Jan-13 08:22:45

We're getting a toddler bed soon. She seems ready for it. We'll put a side bar up for a while as she fidgets sometimes. But I think she should be okay? Just don't want her being disorientated and coming into our room a lot.

Also my dd2 will be going into the room with dd1 when she's bigger ( still bf and in our room) when do you think this could be the rift time to have them both in there? When dd2 is sleeping through (if) dd1 slept through since 13.5m when she no longer had bf in night..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now