Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Two days old..

(11 Posts)
PeggyL Thu 17-Jan-13 19:46:14

I'm writing this from the hospital, have a to days old baby girl - do i need to wind her after a feed or wait till few weeks older? If so, any tips, as she just falls into a drunken milk sleep!! Thanks

LeChatRouge Thu 17-Jan-13 19:49:33

First don't be afraid to ask the midwives ANYTHING, they have chosen the wonderful job of working on a post natal ward because they LOVE helping new mummies feel confident and happy when they leave with their new babies.

Secondly, lie her on your chest with her head near your neck and gently rub her back in small circles with your whole hand, even if she is sleeping any trapped air bubbles will work their way up.

Thirdly, huge congratulations to you!

Pascha Thu 17-Jan-13 19:50:47

Drunken milk sleep sounds right smile Congratulations from me and my 10 day old. I can only answer from a breastfeeding point of view to say you dont need to wind particularly, just a shift in position up on my shoulder usually does the trick and lots of the time DS doesn't need any winding at all. I dont know about bottles, do they take in more air during a feed?

Pascha Thu 17-Jan-13 19:59:02

Come and have a chat on the January postnatal thread we're all in the same boat having given birth in the last couple of weeks. More the merrier!

SirBoobAlot Thu 17-Jan-13 20:14:45

Congratulations, and welcome to your lovely new DD!

Firstly, don't be worried to buzz for a midwife if you need anything. They are there to help you smile

Are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding? Breastfeeding wise, there is no need to wind, but a lot of mums choose to to reassure themselves. Keep her body either upright or against your chest and straight, and just rub in small gentle circles.

PeggyL Fri 18-Jan-13 09:23:19

Thanks for your advice, am breastfeeding but she's def got.wind, will try all those.tips, got such sore nipples & boobs it's non stop!x

Angelik Fri 18-Jan-13 09:29:22

Sorry sirboobalot but you do have to wind some breastfed babies. I believed that you didn't with my ds and he suffered terribly with trapped wind. Caused me many anxious moments. Am hoping dc2 which should be popping any minute now (hopefully!) will be different!

OP - if your bubs is milk drunk you can still have her upright on your shoulder and wind without disturbing her. Also it's lovely to give them a cuddle whenever you can.

ZuleikaD Fri 18-Jan-13 13:28:42

There's nothing you can do to help bring wind up - it comes up by itself. There's been a long discussion about this in Breast & Bottle Feeding this week - apparently other cultures think we're totally weird for insisting on winding when it makes no difference. That's not to say that babies don't get wind - they do (especially bottle fed) - but apparently nothing you do makes any difference to it coming up.

BanghamTheDirtyScone Fri 18-Jan-13 13:37:31

Hiya, I have a 14 day old smile He is my third, and I've breastfed all of them - the middle one till 4 1/2, accidentally smile

I may be wrong but I've always found it really important to wind them - not necessarily to do anything special, but to make sure they are a bit sort of upright, so that any trapped air has the chance to rise up and out.

I didn't do it much with ds1 and then couldn't work out why he would cry/fuss around on the breast/seem hungry but not be able to drink.

I sat ds2 up in the middle of feeds, when he broke off by himself, and let him have a burp and then he went back on happily.

So I think it's important. Clapping their back with your hand while they are resting against your shoulder is one way.

PerchanceToDream Fri 18-Jan-13 22:36:08

When DD was a tiny breastfed newborn I found that I didn't need to do much to wind her, just a very gentle upwards stroking on her back with her upright on my chest. No patting. You'll find your technique. Awww! I'm getting all broody again now. Congrats, OP.

SirBoobAlot Fri 18-Jan-13 22:40:32

Peggy especially if your nipples are sore and you feel she is struggling with wind, do get someone to check the latch, and have her mouth checked for TT as well if you're in a lot of pain so early on.

Where abouts in the nipple and breast is the pain? What kind of pain is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now