Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aaargh! Neck pinching! Help!

(9 Posts)
NellyBluth Wed 16-Jan-13 19:54:54

12mo has taken to pinching my neck when I hold her. She's doing it completely absentmindedly, I don't think she even knows she's doing it, but I'm starting to look like an extra out of True Blood. She's got no concept of 'no' yet and doesn't even really seem to get different tones of voice (i.e. stern) so I don't think that will work, and I'm not entirely sure putting her down and walking away will help either - we currently do that for deliberate biting etc., not that it is quite working yet.

Any suggestions, before DP gets too many weird looks for 'giving me' love bites?

amazingmumof6 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:09:53

she IS old enough to understand no, but actions speak louder than words, take her hand away, put her on the floor
I'd go as far as lightly tapping her hand with a finger (I'm NOT suggesting to smack her!) just to indicate where the problem is, what she needs to "watch"

cut her nails.

wear a top with turtle necks, a hooded top, a snood or a scarf.

or a skimask! grin

NellyBluth Wed 16-Jan-13 20:12:58

We had been contemplating the tap for her biting, as she very occasionally bites deliberately when having a tantrum. I guess I was unsure whether it would work in this situation as its not a deliberate action on her behalf.

I could just wear a snood all the time. I had some awesome ones when I was about 10 grin

amazingmumof6 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:12:02

gentle to mild pain will give them the message - no. she'll get it

princessx Thu 17-Jan-13 11:15:50

Aww my dd did that at that age, but it was her comforting movement so I didn't stop it. Now she has moved on to holding an ear as a comforting movement. The best advice is to just keeps cutting those nails!

NellyBluth Thu 17-Jan-13 12:18:58

Yes, princess, that seems to be the problem as she is doing it as a way to hold me rather than as a a way to get a reaction. But she really gets the skin between her fingers! How long did your DD do it for? Maybe I can get her to hold my ear!

princessx Thu 17-Jan-13 19:34:01

Probably a few months! Before that it was my nose and it looked like I had bad spots on my nose so admittedly I did have to stop her doing that just by gently moving her hand each time.

Good luck with it!

NorthernChinchilla Thu 17-Jan-13 21:29:07

Same here, DS has a range of 'soothers' (sticking his fingers up our noses, in our mouths) and pinching. In my case it's across my chest as well when we're in bed, so it looks like DP has been giving me lovebites in slightly kinkier places grin!
I'm sure he'll grow out of it, but at the moment I just wear a shirt to cover it up and gently extract the burrowing fingers out of nostrils....

Mumoftaiba Thu 17-Jan-13 23:00:04

My eldest liked to hold my ear to she would hold the lobe she really liked to hold it when it was cold. Aah bless she'd 8 now and no longer needs me! sad
Whereas my 3.5yr old likes holding my hair and that is much worse I have tried to move him onto the ears but no he wants the hair! Sometimes he pulls it and it kills! I've tried pulling his hair but he still does it. Why can't these kids be like others and hold a teddy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now