Talk

Advanced search

Advice on 3 week old please

(9 Posts)
Picklepepperpiper Wed 16-Jan-13 19:35:13

My ds is 3 weeks and sometimes in the evenings can become very fractious. I find it very difficult to soothe him. He will usually have been feeding for the last few hours and will suddenly get very fidgity on the breast until he throws himself off. I can usually wind him, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem. If i offer the breast again he gets very angry although he may have been sucking his fist. The only way to get him to calm down is for him to go out in his pram for 30 mins, he then comes home and is more than happy to feed.

I think my husband is starting to get fed up trawling the streets in this freezing weather!

It doesn't happen every night, has probably only happened 4 or 5 times in the 3 weeks and 3 days he has been here. I did thinkit may have been dietry, but have excluded chilli and garlic today, but it has still happened today.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thankyou

amazingmumof6 Wed 16-Jan-13 19:42:56

check out the Oprah show about baby words/baby language with Priscilla Dunsten (Dunstan?) - she has discovered that all babies "communicate their needs" by making different crying/coughing etc noises (words)

it's brilliant! watch it on youtube now - let me know what you think!

I only came across this "system"with my DD (6th child) and wish I'd known about it when DS1 was born!

clabsyqueen Wed 16-Jan-13 19:48:00

There's lots in every baby book about this evening grumpiness. Very common. Do what you can to get through, sounds like youve found a solution. I pounded the streets at 6am in many a December evening and the phase didn't last long.

clabsyqueen Wed 16-Jan-13 19:48:38

6pm I mean

mwah79 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:27:02

Has your health visitor ruled out colic?

BumgrapesofWrath Wed 16-Jan-13 23:34:13

Sounds pretty normal to me...

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 17-Jan-13 14:01:52

Google youtube Richard and judy happiest baby on the block. It's a great calming technique.

It all sounds like normal baby behaviour to me though, and don't forget the old Mn mantra, this too shall pass.

Have a read of bfing your newborn: what to expect and cluster feeding and fussy evenings

If your DH doesn't want to go out (has he actually said this or are you assuming) then can he settle him in another way, maybe a bath or baby massage or wearing him in a sling?

FirstTimeForEverything Thu 17-Jan-13 14:04:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 17-Jan-13 14:10:55

Oh and diet rarely affects your baby unless it has an intolerance. Read this, particularly the bit on any foods you should avoid.

We had this this book with dc2 and I really wish I'd had it with dc1. Might be worth seeing if your library has a copy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now