Talk

Advanced search

2years DS speech - how much should be (age appropriate) unclear?

(7 Posts)
captivatingtears Wed 16-Jan-13 12:46:50

At 2 years I thought my DS had good language - he does try to put together two or three words, even if they're fairly basic.

But recently, some words sound really unclear and I have trouble understanding him which frustrates him, I'm sure.

It's almost as if he's taken a leap language wise, but it's muddled up some stuff, if that makes sense?

How concerned should I be?

Lexiesinclair Wed 16-Jan-13 12:51:39

That sounds very normal to me. Is he just 2? My DS is 2.5 and has recently come on a lot in terms of speech. But I would say about 20% off what he says we don't understand at all.

5madthings Wed 16-Jan-13 12:53:21

Is he just two? If so sounds like my 25mth old did, she is talking in short sentences etc but I can't always understand what she says and she gets very cross!

captivatingtears Wed 16-Jan-13 13:06:40

He was two a month ago. I feel like he's coming on all the time - he's like a sponge - but that it is always understandable (probably more to me than anyone else, but still..)

5madthings Wed 16-Jan-13 13:36:18

25mth old dd not did. She turned two in December, he sounds very normal smile

NotAQueef Wed 16-Jan-13 13:47:37

Sounds just like my 25mo DS (waves to 5madthings!!) - so in my experience it's totally normal.

He never stops talking talks in 3/4 word sentences a lot now, (very instructional in nature) but still has lots of words that are unclear if you don't pay close attention or have partial sounds missing from them.
He does get frustrated sometimes when he has to repeat himself a few times, but it is improving.
I also noticed that when he moved on from single words to short sentences the clarity of some long standing words has reduced. We are still at the stage where you have to tune into toddler frequency to understand the chatter so when people who are not familiar with him talk to him they can struggle to understand.
I think it's normal and will improve over the next few months.
As an aside my DS had a tongue tie so will be monitoring if the sounds don't improve and trying to get a SALT referral

captivatingtears Wed 16-Jan-13 13:59:21

That's interesting. I was told he had a mild tongue tie at birth but haven't thought about it since. What sort of difference does it make to sounds?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now