Talk

Advanced search

Do you do messy play with your 16 month old?

(5 Posts)
tory79 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:50:59

If so, what, how often and how?!

It has been suggested it might help my ds with his apparent dislike of eating anything messy, but I feel a bit clueless about this as I thought he was a bit young for this, nothing really holds his interest for longer than a few minutes plus he's an extreme thrower so any messy play is likely to get MESSY unless I can find a fairly foolproof method of protection! We would have to do this in the dining room so carpeted etc.

Thanks smile

PoppyWearer Mon 14-Jan-13 16:58:41

We do the odd bit of painting, but he mostly does that at nursery grin. Stuff like cornflour (wet and dry) and shaving foam. And home-made play dough.

How about getting some messy mats (£4 from Tesco I think) or some of the slot-together foam flooring?

Or put him in his high chair and use the tray? Then he is clipped in and the mess contained? This is how we do painting.

Have a bath and towel ready!

PoppyWearer Mon 14-Jan-13 16:59:10

P.S. it will only be for a few minutes!

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 14-Jan-13 17:02:56

no, he was messy enough without messy play! He also hated touching food and getting his hands dirty but has no issues now (this is DS1, DS2 has no problems with picking up food and I didn't do messy play with him either!)

ZuleikaD Mon 14-Jan-13 17:05:08

We do some of our messy play (particularly with water) in the bathroom. They love tubs of water with a bit of food colouring in it. Or gloop (mix up cornflour and water). On the kitchen floor would be fine too - presumably the kitchen isn't carpeted. Sand and mud outside are good when it warms up a bit.

It is true that messy play can overcome anxieties they may have picked up about making a mess with food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now