Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 YO riding a bike - fear of pedals!

(6 Posts)
dilys4trevor Sun 13-Jan-13 20:01:40

Apologies if I am in the wrong bit of Talk for this, but I wondered if anyone has any bike riding advice for a 4 YO (or for me, rather!).
My quite timid just-turned-4 YO has been riding his Isla balance bike for the last 18 months and is very whizzy on it, balancing with both feet off the ground, whizzing about etc. We bought him the pedal version (also Isla) over Christmas and it is quite big compared to him but he still hopped on and whizzed about. Only issue is that he uses it like a balance bike and won't use the pedals, despite alot of explanation around why you have pedals. He won't even put his feet on them. And really he much prefers his balance bike still.
My husband bought some cheap stabilisers (I know most balance bike fans would say that is a crime and it felt wrong to me too) to show DS how to pedal without him having to balance as well. Plan was to take them off once he learned to pedal (which we assumed would be in no time as any kid can use a stabiliser pedal bike, right?). But he got really scared and upset when he got on it and said the pedals were scary and that he couldn't do it. I must admit I lost my rag a bit as he does tend to do the 'I'm scared' thing when he is a bit trepidatious (sp?) but also can't be bothered.
Anyone had anything like this? Am thinking now I should remove the stabilisers and just wait for him to want to try his big boy bike again, which he will one day, I assume. Such a shame when he is so confident on his balance bike and he has really come out of his shell on so many other physical things.
I'm feeling terrible tonight about my lack of patience but had had a right old morning with him just prior to the bike trip, as despite being timid in many ways he is also quite naughty in others!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 13-Jan-13 20:03:21

I'd put it away for now and let him continue with the balance bike. Try again in a few months.

BerthaTheBogCleaner Sun 13-Jan-13 20:09:50

Both my boys loved their balance bike and could whizz around on it, and then totally failed to transfer to a pedal bike. When we did get them on pedal bikes, we had to put stabilisers on and it still took ages. They can balance, they just can't balance and pedal at the same time ...

I'd put the pedal bike away and let him enjoy his balance bike. Sooner or later he will decide he wants a pedal bike because all his friends do - there is an age when the balance bike is suddenly a baby thing. Much better for the motivation to come from him than you!

SummerLightning Sun 13-Jan-13 20:18:36

My son had had a go on a little trike with pedals at his grandparents just before he got his bike with pedals. He was also a whizz on his balance bike and he got the hang of the pedal bike straight away. Could be worth seeing if you could borrow one - might be significantly different from a bike that he will try it and then get the hang of pedals? Otherwise
I would just leave him to it with the balance bike if he's happy.

dilys4trevor Sun 13-Jan-13 20:48:45

Thanks all. Good to know that it isn't just us! You are all right of course and I need to chill out.

birdseed Mon 14-Jan-13 11:02:33

I would 2nd the idea of borrowing a trikes for him to mess around on if he fancies it, and also dropping any pressure and keeping on with the Balance bike while it still fits. Then he can get pedalling confidence in a no pressure way and can still enjoy his 'cycling ' on his balance bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now