Talk

Advanced search

Language development

(4 Posts)
RueDeWakening Sun 13-Jan-13 17:18:38

Hi,

Can anyone point me towards an outline of when children are expected to pick up and start using particular sounds in their speech?

For background, DS will be 3 next month, and his speech is fairly clear in that I understand him most of the time, however he often misses the first sound in a word, or substitutes sounds eg b instead of d and so on. He normally has the right general word sound, but sometimes has to repeat himself several times while DH and I run through the possibilities to work out what he actually said.

He was born 2 months prematurely, although discharged by neonatal with no obvious concerns just after his 2nd birthday. He has an older sister who had uncommonly clear speech from an early age, so I am very wary of comparing the two of them!

Thanks.

amazingmumof6 Sun 13-Jan-13 18:08:05

when I did my children's studies the guide line was that clear speech is desirable by the age of 6 or 7, after that unclear talk may be classified as speech impediment.

this was almost 20 years ago and not in England and things change all the time - I'm not sure about current views, but it's a good guideline.

hard to not compare with siblings, but best to avoid that.
try & compare him with himself - can you take a video of him talking now and say in a month again, saying roughly the same set of words/phrases? you can then see & hear the difference/progress.

has he had a hearing test? he could have glue ear or other things and he just can't hear you properly.

I wouldn't worry too much, but if you can get GP or HV to refer you to a speech therapist for an objective assignment,
he's probably ok or may have a slight speech impediment and you'll be advised accordingly.

insancerre Sun 13-Jan-13 18:09:54

here is a fantastic website that has lots of info on speech development
www.talkingpoint.org.uk/en/Parent.aspx

RueDeWakening Sun 13-Jan-13 18:48:09

Thanks - he hasn't had his hearing checked since he left NICU and I was wondering about doing that so will try and follow up soon. Language delay/difficulties was the one big thing that NICU warned us was a likely outcome for him, so I'm aware that I'm probably more sensitive to his speech than perhaps I ought to be.

Insancerre - that website looks brilliant, thank you, I'll spend some time going through it later this evening.

He starts preschool in a month, and I know they are ECAT accredited, so hopefully they'll be able to help with anything necessary too.

Thanks again, very useful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now