Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 3yo trouble joining in...

(4 Posts)
PPT Fri 11-Jan-13 10:54:02

Hi all, any advice? I have a 2.11 yr old DS. Very bright, and chatty constantly. Excellent speech and comprehension. I am a SAHM, but DS goes to nursery 2 full days a week. On the other days I try and take us to various classes at the YMCA or surestart centres.

My DS is not shy by any standards, but if he gets the hump (which seems to be quite often at these classes)- then he will literally go and sit away from the activity, with a grumpy face on and his arms folded! We have tried a range of activities- but have had to stop swimming, football and others, because he just doesn't want to join in.

Nursery have no issues with him, and he seems to be a happy sociable child there. I don't neccessarily want him to be the life and soul of the party- but would like him to make an effort to join in, and not sit about looking so forlorn!

Any coping strategies? Ideas as to how I can get him to engage? I'm sure if he tried some of the things (i.e. playing with the giant parachute at this morning's class) he'd have a ball- but he won't even try. I've tried saying that I will do it with him, that he doesn't have to join in, saying that it makes me feel sad to see him looking sad... nothing seems to encourage him sufficiently.

I don't want to stop going to classes- it gets us both out of the house! They are fun classes (i.e. music, trampolining)- he's not expected to 'perform'!

Help!!!

BeerTricksPotter Fri 11-Jan-13 11:01:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 11-Jan-13 11:02:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PPT Fri 11-Jan-13 19:31:44

Thanks for this! I know I shouldn't take it to heart- but would love him to give things a go before he decides he doesn't like them! I do try and get involved (modelling?) but today he just told me to stop it! 2 going on 16!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now