Talk

Advanced search

Fiction and strong toddler emotions

(10 Posts)
TheSurgeonsMate Wed 09-Jan-13 10:25:09

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could read to help me help dd to handle her strong emotions when we read or watch tv? She can get extremely upset!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Jan-13 12:15:58

Is the book for her or you?

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 09-Jan-13 12:16:51

For me!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Jan-13 12:21:38

Have a look at Your Child Your Way by Dr Tanya Byron. Is that the sort of thing you mean!

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 09-Jan-13 12:34:11

I've had a look on Amazon, it looks like it's out of print but they have a preview and plenty reviews. It seems to focus strongly on desirable and undesirable behaviour, although one reviewer points out a need for everyone to be aware of their own emotions.

Clearly popular - the second hand copies on amazon are Very Expensive.

I have an American story book with a scary element that contains "tips for parents" on handling fears and scary stories. I'm thinking of that sort of thing, really, but for other sorts of emotion and story.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Jan-13 12:39:42

Ok then, not got any more suggestions though unfortunately.

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 09-Jan-13 13:26:26

Thanks, jjj. I'll maybe browse "other people bought" from there and see if anything else pops out at me that might be more in the paperback price range.

gourd Wed 09-Jan-13 16:00:05

Toddlers need to express their emotions though. You dont need to avoid books because she got upset - ours did at the picture of the bear walking away at the end of the "We're going on a bear hunt" book but after the third time she remebered that he is only going back to his cave for tea (we told her) and will be coming out again to play so she didnt get upset. Similarly she was upset the first few times we read "A friend for Little bear" where be so fair enough) but later he returns and after the third time of reading it she wasnt upset anymore because she remebered that he comes back. Thsi is a normal part of development. You can reassure them of course but I dont think you can avoid some emotion when reading - isnt that the whole point of it?

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 09-Jan-13 16:51:53

Sounds like I might be overanalysing it. Yes, I reassure her, but I suppose I wondered if there is more to be done.

TheSurgeonsMate Fri 17-May-13 16:46:17

Gosh, I thought of this thread again when the librarian came rushing over to see what the heck was the matter in our corner of the library. Answer - Posy had snatched Pip's scooter. "W-A-I-L!" <<real tears>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now