Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5month old turning away from bottle

(7 Posts)
JenJen84 Tue 08-Jan-13 10:10:49

My 5 month old daughter has started wrenching herself off the bottle (often to look at things/people) She'll be feeding quite happilly then she'll whip her head one way or the other.
There's also been a bit more arching her back, though it's intermittant.

We're currently in the last stage of weaning off colief and she's on comfort milk.

She's always been very mouthy, from 3 months (teething early?) she's gaining weight ok and is very bright and happy in herself - sleeping well. Just all this lurching makes it hard to feed her and I'm now trying to feed in two, sometimes three portions, which isn't great for heating milk etc.

Thoughts please?

babySophieRose Tue 08-Jan-13 11:47:40

My DD, now 14 months, went off milk completely when she was 5 1/2 months. HV suggested at the time that it happened because of the weaning, that some babies like food better than milk. It was very difficult for the night time feeding, as she was eating pure, baby rice... during the day, but needed a bottle at night. She began to drink more water and I tried to change the formula, oat milk and other alternatives, but at the end we went to Nanny Care goat milk formula and it was the only formula she would drink. In my view, she did not liked the taste of other formulas, as they are all sweet, Nanny Care is not sweet and really very pleasant. It is double in price, but well worth it. She went back to normal formula ( Aptamil) at around 9 months.

narmada Tue 08-Jan-13 21:57:49

It sounds to me like normal distractability. It tends to kick in around this age.... everything is suddenly so interesting.

Alternatively, is it time for next size teat?

englishbreakfast Tue 08-Jan-13 22:47:13

How about feeding her in a darkened room so that she's not distracted as much?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Jan-13 12:20:16

Next sized teat and darkened room both good advice. How about trying feeding her facing out or letting her hold the bottle for a bit?

From 6 to 12 months the advice is to give 20 floz a day and to offer formula an hour before offering solids. This is because the milk is more important for her growth and development than the solids.

I would only reduce the formula feeds on the advice of a doctor.

JenJen84 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:28:48

Yeah I won't be feeding her anything other than milk yet, she's not quite ready yet.
Will try darkened room to see it that helps-she's on a 3teat so I'll experiment with the next one! Thank you

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 10-Jan-13 12:34:22

Let us know how you get on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now