Talk

Advanced search

People keep saying DD is a 'late walker'

(46 Posts)
GoldPlatedNineDoors Sat 05-Jan-13 20:32:37

She is one. I am consistantly being asked by friends family and fucking strangers on the street if she is waling yet. The answer is no, and I am not in the least bit.concerned. However they then say things like "oh sch and such was a Late Walker too" - surely she isnt yet late confused

LynetteScavo Sat 05-Jan-13 20:34:35

How many months old is she?

If she's just turned one, then no, she's not late. If she's 22 months, then yes, she's quite late.

fleacircus Sat 05-Jan-13 20:35:52

I believe that about 25% of babies are walking by the age of 1 - have presumably read it somewhere rather than made it up. So no, she isn't a late walker. But I also believe it's not that important... when was the last time you saw someone in the street and thought 'wow, what a great walker, I bet s/he started really early'?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sat 05-Jan-13 20:37:41

She is one year and two weeks. So 1.05 grin

MarianForrester Sat 05-Jan-13 20:38:08

Ignore them!

I hate this stuff, they do these things in their own time; there is no cause for concern.

Tell these people to shut the fuck up, politely, of course grin

MirandaWest Sat 05-Jan-13 20:38:41

Both DD and DS walked at 15 months. No one ever suggested they were late walkers.

confused ds is nearly 10 months and starting to walk and I''ve been told he's an early walker. Surely theres more than a 2 month window which is considered ' normal'. I thought anything from 9 -18 months was considered in normal range? I wouldn't be worried at all.

simonthedog Sat 05-Jan-13 20:40:50

it is not late. My DD1 started walking at 16 months. Believe me it is a good thing!!

2beornot Sat 05-Jan-13 20:40:57

Nod and smile and move on. Not worth bothering about.

Putting a positive spin on it though, I bet most are trying to reassure you that there is no problem, rather than deliberately try to make you feel bad.

TCOB Sat 05-Jan-13 20:48:37

I started at nine mos and the only thing that distinguishes me is my truly awful lopsided walk grin DD started at nearly fourteen months and I had lots of comments before that about how late she was. maybe ask these terribly well-informed people to share some statistics with you as they clearly know so much about child development!

SunshineOutdoors Sat 05-Jan-13 20:50:07

Not late. I know it's easier said than done but just ignore.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sat 05-Jan-13 20:52:12

Thing is I dont actually give two hoots about if she walks - shes only just a year, gets around well by crawling and on knees, and spends tons of time on her feet, just standing/leaning.

But then people ask me. Its the only thing people seem to ask.me.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 05-Jan-13 21:04:32

I feel a bit embarrassed to say this but I can't remember when either of my sons learned to walk. They are 7 and 9. It's not like one day they were not walking and the next day they were. I seem to recall that they both walked a few steps for a few weeks and then gradually managed more and more till I classed them as a "walker".

To be honest I was more worried about their language development so I took more notice of that. But I thought "how many school age children are there who crawl to school?" And just forgot about the walking altogether. They walked when they were ready and not before and to this day I do not recall when it was!

I know it's hard when people comment but they are bloody DAFT comments and have no bearing on anything.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sat 05-Jan-13 21:07:09

I imagine I will be like you - she rolls, crawls; speaks; etc but I dont teally know whrn she did these things - she just does.

PerchanceToDream Sat 05-Jan-13 21:13:36

Does she look a lot older than she is? Is she very tall? Seems very odd that people would ask that of a 12 month old. They should mind their bloody business anyway!

ajandjjmum Sat 05-Jan-13 21:21:21

DS was 17 months and DD was 15 months - they haven't stopped since! grin Nothing to worry about.

DewDr0p Sat 05-Jan-13 21:26:36

My 3 didn't walk until 18,19&21 months respectively! :-0 (they are all fine btw)

14-15 months is considered average.

Just saying grin (people really are a bit misinformed aren't they?)

Bibs123 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:30:35

As soon as DD turned one it felt like everyone was asking about her walking and making annoying comments about how their child was walking by then. She walked just before turning 13 months and some people said that was late, which of course is shite but people go all twatty about these things.

BerthaTheBogCleaner Sat 05-Jan-13 21:33:09

NHS website says most children learn to walk between 10 and 18 months and if not walking by 18 months, consult gp, but probably is no problem.

The thing is, once your youngest child is about 2, you forget when they did things. And you forget what is normal. (or is that just me blush). And "ooh isn't she walking yet" starts to sound like acceptable smalltalk - like "ooh isn't it cold today". confused somebody shoot me now ...

Just say "No, she's been concentrating on her maths".

Willowme Sat 05-Jan-13 21:36:23

My DS walked 1 week before he was one, mil implied he was a late walker I was shock

Some people have very funny ideas. Please try and ignore them!

sittinginthesun Sat 05-Jan-13 21:38:20

Isn't 14 months average?

DS2 was 3 days short of 18 months. Perfect. grin

coldethyl Sat 05-Jan-13 21:39:00

No, she's not. DD was a late walker at 21 months (and I was starting to think her legs were a decorative feature!) but she had enough language to demand what she wanted, so saw no need to walk. Walking only arrived when she saw her brothers head into a ball pit without her, and since then she hasn't stopped.

All children are different. And at 1.05 you really have no need to worry if she's not walking yet.

Notquite Sat 05-Jan-13 21:44:10

I thought under 1 was early, about 12-14 months average. I didn't walk until 16 months but am quite proficient now.

Spiderwebb85 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:44:42

Perfectly normal. My little boy didn't walk until he was 16 months and I also got fed up of people asking! They walk when they are ready.

ApplesinmyPocket Sat 05-Jan-13 21:49:51

My DD1 (admittedly 2 months prem) didn't get up off her bottom to walk till 17 months smile. She later became a competitive gymnast so it doesn't mean a hill o'beans. She will be up and off soon I'm sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now