Talk

Advanced search

My 8 mo screams unless I hold him

(6 Posts)
Busyfeetsmum Fri 04-Jan-13 09:16:56

Any advice re how to stop my 8mo from screaming constantly unless held? I'm getting to the point where I can't hold him any more as my back is so sore and stiff, plus going to the bathroom or getting myself a drink causes all hell to break loose. And he won't ever play by himself even for a few minutes. The only thing that stops him crying is a cuddle. I know it's said that you can't cuddle a child enough, but I physically can't keep going much longer. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

sipper Fri 04-Jan-13 10:02:13

Poor you and him. Is he in pain? Might it be reflux/silent reflux or a similar digestive issue that is relieved by the position you are holding him in? What happens at night?

Also, the Ergo Baby is a fabulous baby carrier if you fancy being able to have him with you and you still be able to get on with a few things. Ergo Baby isn't one of the 'crotch dangler' baby carriers so is gentle on the baby, and is also comfy for the wearer and doesn't strain your back.

RicStar Fri 04-Jan-13 10:34:53

No real suggestions am afraid as my dd who is also 8 mths was pretty much the same until a week ago when she started to crawl a little bit (half crawl half shuffle) she still crys a lot but less. I find she gets v.easily bored / frustrated so try & change scene as much as possible get out to baby groups / one o clock clubs / swings (she hates buggy too though) i am lucky as she is my only child so i can shape day around her. I have found that lowering my expectations of what can get done helped. My dh takes her swimming at weekend which gives me little break from fussing. I have ergo which is relatively comfy but i still dont find i can do much with 19lbs baby strapped to me. Anyway hugs you are not alone & i am firm in my belief that they will grow out of this phase

wanderingalbatross Fri 04-Jan-13 10:43:46

I found 8/9mo to be a fussy age with DD - she wanted to move but couldn't very well, and there's also separation anxiety to contend with. Is he trying to crawl or cruise? Could you encourage this somehow to help with his frustration? Otherwise, no answers but I'm sure you'll find this fussiness passes once he gets more mobile.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 04-Jan-13 10:58:39

Agree with everything above. My DS was very much like this and it turned out he was tongue tied, so if you are bfing it might be worth getting checked out.

Try googling kellymom separation anxiety too smile

Tinkerisdead Fri 04-Jan-13 11:06:59

My 10 month old is like this. Shes cruising and if i put her down she'll grt hysterical trying to walk to me and paw at my legs crying. Its quite distressing. She wont go to anyone ither than dh or me either so i'm certain its seperation anxiety.

Ive thought about a sling to spread the weight a bit but to be honest i cant face the idea of more carrying whichever the method!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now