Talk

Advanced search

Newborn night time sleep advice.

(6 Posts)
sleepyhead1234 Thu 03-Jan-13 09:53:28

DS is now 12 days old. During the day he is fantastic sleeps lots awake for a bit feeds well (bottle fed). He's happy to go down in his moses and settle himself or sleep on someone or in his chair he is very placid.

However when it comes to bedtime DS thinks it's playtime, I know he's too little for a strict routine but i would like a bit of sleep before 2am!!
I go up around 11 and the lights are dim i don't give eye contact and i give him his bottle, I then put him in his basket and he just thrashes about, snuffles and shouts till DH or i pick him up. This goes on till he wants his next feed then after that he's flat out.

We can't even lie in as we have DD who is up early.

Is there anything more i can do to encourage awake time at say 9pm and sleep at 11?? Starting to feel very very tired atm!!

DesperateHousewife21 Thu 03-Jan-13 10:00:19

Could you restrict naps after say 5 or 6pm?
My dd is 8 wo and because of the routine we have for 2 yo ds she doesn't get to sleep after 6pm so she's always asleep by 9 ish (give or take!) when I go to sleep which works well for us.

ThreeWheelsGood Thu 03-Jan-13 12:03:44

Our baby is ten WEEKS old and still doesn't fully get the difference between night and day, sorry to say! I think you just have to sleep when you can. that said, the typical advice is to make daytime bright and noisy, nighttime dark and quiet, so baby eventually learns the difference.

ZuleikaD Thu 03-Jan-13 15:07:58

Sounds like reverse cycling - you could try keeping him awake more in the day and make sure he gets lots of daylight, but TBH you can't really expect a newborn to get the difference between night and day yet.

ellesabe Thu 03-Jan-13 20:37:56

My dd2 was like this and it's easy to day "keep them awake during the day" but absolutely impossible to do!

We just did as others suggested, kept nighttime dark and quiet, persevered with putting her in the Moses basket etc.

Anyway, dd2 is 8wo and just had two nights in a row of sleeping 12-8am grin

I'm not trying to be smug as I fully expect this to all change again within a week but just wanted to give you a bit of light at the end of your tunnel! I also have a 2yo dd1 who gets up at 7am everyday so I appreciate you must be knackered but hang in there. You'll get through it!

sleepyhead1234 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:15:30

thanks all. like i said he is newborn and i don't expect a routine i just wondered if there is something else we can try?
glad your little one is now sleeping ellesabe.
going to try giving him a nice bath and massage before bed see if that works. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now