Talk

Advanced search

When could I expect ds to put himself to bed?

(22 Posts)
joanofarchitrave Sat 29-Dec-12 21:20:51

Just wondered - what age did your child head off to bed without an adult forcing getting him through the process?

priscilla101 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:23:51

KittyBreadfan Sat 29-Dec-12 21:25:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LineRunner Sat 29-Dec-12 21:26:58

Erm ... older than that.

LynetteScavo Sat 29-Dec-12 21:28:46

No, not 7! My 7yo still needs a story and a song and a hug and a kiss. Not because she wouldn't sleep, but it just wouldn't be right!

My 9 yo will go off independently (as long as I remind him to brush teeth, then when he says he has, tell him I know he really hasn't), but there is no way I could let my 7yo go off to bed alone! DS1 was still being snuggled to sleep every night at 7yo. I still read to my 9yo most nights (or rather, I make DH read to him).

priscilla101 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:31:46

Oh, I am not allowed snugly reading! Ds can apparently "read much faster in my head" so I am not allowed to read to him anymore! Boo!

joanofarchitrave Sat 29-Dec-12 21:32:48

thank you

[sigh]

ds will be 9 in a week, no sign of us not needing to take him to bed... I think it's the only thing, as in a) we haven't had to stop due to needing to look after a younger one and b) he gets lonely all by himself up there.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Dec-12 21:34:05

I still have to put my nearly 12yo to bed. I moan about it but I suppose its nice to be needed still!

exexpat Sat 29-Dec-12 21:37:03

I still go and chivvy DD (10) through the final stages of tooth-brushing etc and turn her light out, but that's because I suspect she would otherwise stay reading on the loo for hours...

sausagesandwich34 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:37:10

dd2 is just 9 and she has been taking herself off to bed for about 6 months

priscilla101 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:37:27

Joan have you tried something like the complete alex rider collection on audio cd? 100s of hours of audio books that kids, ESP boys, love. Ds would even go the bed earlier if he could have an Alex rider! Might help the loneliness?

inmyheadimthequeen Sat 29-Dec-12 21:39:30

One of us still goes up with our about-to-be-11yo to chase up teeth etc., settle down, hug, put light off. Then the other parent goes up for hug and to say goodnight. Our 12.5yo can be left to do everything himself but still gets a kiss and hug from each of us at lights out time. If they are reading/watching something and it's about to finish before lights off, we will leave them on trust to put out lights but will still go up to check everything and say goodnight after they have done. Can't imagine they would settle without saying proper goodnight, it wouldn't feel right to let them just go off by themselves.

joanofarchitrave Sat 29-Dec-12 21:40:14

We might try alex rider, thank you priscilla. He has had Hiccup and Harry P on disc for some years though - he does love them but it doesn't stop us 'needing' to be there to turn them on for him...

biff23 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:41:48

Still take my 10 and 7 year old to bed. I like the fact they want us to take them up. I was sent packing (battered) from an early age so love that they take comfort from us.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 29-Dec-12 21:44:23

ds(nearly 9) gets into PJ's himself and brushes teeth but I take him to bed so we can read a chapter of his book together and have a hug/kiss goodnight.

I'm sure he'll tell me soon enough when he wants to stop, I'm making the most of it while I still can!

priscilla101 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:51:25

Oh dear, I clearly have a ds of the fiercely independent flavour! He gets a kiss goodnight and I do go up and check on him, but generally I am interfering with reading time! Kids!

joanofarchitrave Sat 29-Dec-12 22:06:50

Yes, he is very much of the sort who would have me standing there all night if he could! I suppose I like the fact that he still holds my hand in the street smile - I can't have it both ways. Doesn't stop me trying blush

Feelingdetached Sat 29-Dec-12 22:09:42

omg - he is 7 and he goes because he is told too. Not because we pander.

joanofarchitrave Sat 29-Dec-12 22:11:28

Ah there we go. I should have posted this thread 2 years ago.

Feelingdetached Sat 29-Dec-12 22:11:28

...well he can be bait like a boomerang at times but still he goes back...

But I still get him dressed of a school morning as its quicker and less stressful. so there you go.

Do what suits you n yours.

Feelingdetached Sat 29-Dec-12 22:12:01

x post

DottyDot Sat 29-Dec-12 22:14:12

Ds's aged 11 and 8 go up, do teeth and pyjamas but then one of us goes up to say goodnight. Only takes a couple of minutes but they and us still like to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now