Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have an older child who wont play alone?

(11 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Thu 27-Dec-12 18:57:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

exoticfruits Thu 27-Dec-12 18:59:13

I would make her be useful - get her doing housework and cooking etc.

Cheesemonkey Thu 27-Dec-12 19:03:32

This isn't typical behaviour and sounds quite draining.
I think you need to establish if this is a developmental issue or attention seeking.
Do her school have any concerns with her sociL development?
How does she relate to her peers outside of school?
Does anyone else live at home, if so how does she behave with them?

Whistlingwaves Thu 27-Dec-12 19:10:44

Cheesemonkey Thu 27-Dec-12 19:24:04

I think it would be worth speaking to the school again to see if they have the same point of view regards her social skills as you do.
If so it may be worth pursuing if there is an underlying issue causing this.
As she is SEN do you have termly meetings to discuss progress and targets, as social skills targets could be added to this.

Cheesemonkey Thu 27-Dec-12 19:32:01

I think it would be worth speaking to the school again to see if they have the same point of view regards her social skills as you do.
If so it may be worth pursuing if there is an underlying issue causing this.
As she is SEN do you have termly meetings to discuss progress and targets, as social skills targets could be added to this.

Whistlingwaves Thu 27-Dec-12 19:39:48

Cheesemonkey Thu 27-Dec-12 20:42:25

I would be keen for social skills to be added to her IEP, as it won't be too long before she is moving up to secondary.
It does seem like she has some developmental concerns beyond her dyspraxia ( which is not uncommon).
Before you speak to your consultant make a list of all your concerns.
Can I ask what you feel is the cause? A mothers instinct is often a good indicator.

mincepiemashandliquer Thu 27-Dec-12 21:40:43

Often, kids with developmental coordination difficulties have problems with motor planning. This can affect not only planning physical movements, but planning in general. This can make it hard for them to come up with ideas for play. Get your GP to refer you to your local OT service, they should be able to identify if this is problem. Good luck.

Sabriel Fri 28-Dec-12 14:09:34

Oh this is depressing. You have described my DD to a T, but mine is only 5. I was hoping she would grow out of it sad

FWIW we are trying to get ours assessed because she clearly has SEN (and we have other DC with dyspraxia and ADHD).

No advice but you are not alone. Is she an only? I notice you say she is difficult when there are 2 adults. Mine won't let anyone talk and is much better when there are just her and I here.

Whistlingwaves Fri 28-Dec-12 17:21:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now