Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Constant crying

(10 Posts)
EverythingsDozy Mon 24-Dec-12 08:50:48

I don't know where else to put this so I'll try here.
My 7wo cries constantly. I mean, literally, his waking hours are crying. He is either sleeping, feeding or crying. Its exhausting, its hard to listen to and so stressful. I'm really struggling to deal with it.
He is on prescribed Gaviscon, half a sachet per bottle, and as its Christmas and we can't get into the doctors, we have bought some colief (as infacol wasn't doing anything) to see if it was a colic related thing. It hasn't made much, if any, difference.
What can it be? Our eldest child (DD 2yo) wasn't like this at all so we are at our wits end with it. What can I do???

conorsrockers Mon 24-Dec-12 08:58:27

Does he struggle to feed at all, or spit up alot after his feed? My DS2 was like this and we found out it was reflux. We had to keep him on a 'slope' all the time (with his head raised), even changing, sleeping especially. We did this by putting books under the bottom legs of the crib (just the head end) and pillows under the changing mat - all day he sat in a bouncer and had his naps in there. It wasn't a miracle cure, but it certainly helped.

Natmu Mon 24-Dec-12 09:11:29

I've been in your shoes Everything with my DS2. He was just like you are describing and he has turned out to be a high needs baby so I have had to do everything differently to how I did it with DS1. The first few weeks were just sitting it out (not very comforting I'm sorry) but things did sloely change. My DS2 also has reflux and colic and I did the things conorsrockers described for the reflux and used infacol. I found Gaviscon made the reflux problem worse if anything and we're now on ranitidine which seems to neutralise the acid more effectively.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I know what you're going through but it does change. Have a look at the high needs baby support thread in sleep and see if you think it could be that. There is some fantastic support from the wonderful ladies over there who have lots of experience.

EverythingsDozy Mon 24-Dec-12 09:21:42

The doctor said he thinks its reflux. He had bad projectile vomiting for a while but since the Gaviscon he hasn't done it, other than that, not really sicky. Definitely doesn't struggle feeding, doesn't struggle to burp either.
He is on a slope at bedtime, he has a towel underneath his mattress and he sleeps like a dream overnight (sleeping through for a week).

Thank you for your advice wrt high needs baby. Will definitely check out the thread.
If this doesn't get better over Christmas, after I have put your advice into action, is it worth going back to the doctors? Will they tell me anything different?

bishboschone Mon 24-Dec-12 09:30:26

My ds was like this . He had reflux , the first line of attack is gaviscon, then ranitidine and domperidone. Then omerprazole . So there is more that can be done but you need to be happy with having medication as they can have side effects . I wasn't but ds was prem and I wasn't given a choice.

conorsrockers Mon 24-Dec-12 16:59:09

Not that I am suggesting this, but I never went to the doctors ... because I knew they would just palm me off with drugs. Look for the baby whisperer website for advice, I recommend a Heinermann (sp!!) bottle. Good Luck, it will pass xxx

MrTumblesCrackWhore Mon 24-Dec-12 22:18:02

Dd2 was like this. For three whole desperate months. Until she was diagnosed as being cow's milk protein allergic (can be passed on through breast milk). She was put on Nutramigen formula and was like a different baby within 2 days. Doctors are loathe to prescribe it as its v expensive but CMPA is only diagnosed by process of elimination.

AngelDog Mon 24-Dec-12 22:51:35

Has he been checked for tongue tie? It can often go alongside food intolerances, gastric issues, reflux etc.

sam789 Sun 29-Oct-17 23:44:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lovely36 Mon 30-Oct-17 01:44:05

My baby was the exact same way. Cried for hours straight. We switched his formula to paramilitary comfort colic and constipation and omg what a difference! He was a different baby. Have you tried switching formula?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now