Talk

Advanced search

How aware of Christmas (or not) is your tot?

(11 Posts)
PerchanceToDream Thu 20-Dec-12 15:32:04

22mo DD knows who Father Christmas is. She knows what a Christmas tree is and that she's not to pull all the baubles off it or she'll be told off. She certainly knows what a present is. Oh and she tells me off for using the scissors to wrap. "Mummy, scissors are SHARP!"

I'm not sure she comprehends Christmas day itself though. She's been opening her advent calendar every morning. I wonder if she even understands the fact that we're counting down to something!?

I know she's only little. Can't wait for the real Christmas magic to start... Maybe next year.

mummytasha11 Thu 20-Dec-12 15:37:56

My 23 month old ds does not like Santa (we took him to see him) wasn't very impressed and he cannot grasp the concept of the one a day chocolate! He likes the lights and trees but that's about it

Ionasky Thu 20-Dec-12 15:57:16

I don't think my daughter has much of an idea yet (coming up to 26 months), she can say Christmas tree, we've got a chocolate advent calendar (mistake) which she thinks is cake but doesn't really get the counting down to the big day thing yet. I'm thinking next year she might be more aware! I'm fairly sure they'll enjoy all the food and attention though! Plus new toys smile

Morph2 Thu 20-Dec-12 18:19:07

My is 2.6 and i don't think he actually gets we are counting down to something or what christmas day actually is. A few times he has asked 'is it christmas today?'

i think when the day itself comes he will love it this year as he'll be into opening his pressies (last year he only opened one and then got distracted'. He also plays really well with his todays now so will hopefully play with what he gets on the day.

matana Thu 20-Dec-12 20:25:06

Mine is 2.1 and has been watching polar express for weeks now, so knows quite a lot. Last weekend I asked him what father Christmas brings and he said "presents!" And he also points to lights and trees and says "look! Pretty Christmas lights/ tree!" Beyond that I'm guessing he knows nothing about time or anything, but he is taking much more interest in Christmas now.

RubyrooUK Thu 20-Dec-12 21:15:05

My DS is 2.4. He tells me faithfully that "Father Christmas bring presents" but he doesn't seem to have any excitement or expectation over getting gifts so I don't think he really gets that aspect. He isn't yet at the stage where he knows to ask for things; if they arrive, great. If not, he wouldn't notice.

Mainly he likes the idea of Father Christmas, who he was kindly introduced to by Peppa Pig. He says "Father Christmas come down a chimney" a lot and has begun shouting "Father Christmas, where are you????" up one of them. He also loves the Raymond Briggs Father Christmas cartoon (have no clue what he makes of it).

I sort of like this stage. He has the excitement without risk of gift disappointment. I'm sure it will be totally different next year.

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Thu 20-Dec-12 21:17:38

DS 2.3 isn't really aware of any of it really except that he doesn't think much of father christmas. Likes the tree but its only peripheral to him really. He hasn't come across much of it really as we are quite low key about it.

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Thu 20-Dec-12 21:18:48

but then DS is language delayed so we don't hear anything much about it from him.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Thu 20-Dec-12 21:22:26

My son is 3 and a half. He is just about getting it this year, at least he understands Santa is coming and he'll get presents.

I don't think he gets the advent bit or that we're counting down.

duchesse Thu 20-Dec-12 21:28:02

3.4 yo DD3 is very aware of it. Last year (aged 28 m) not really at all. We got away with a lot more than we will this year.

Splatt34 Thu 20-Dec-12 22:51:15

26 mo DD yells Christmas tree every time she sees one. Says "Santa coming" & "Santa bring wiggles " (he is indeed bringing her a new wiggles dvd as i will go mad if forced to watch the one Australian friend gave her for her birthday one more time). she was also very keen to 'help' write the cards and wrap her cousin's present which she is keen he will "share " with her. and she knows we'll be visiting family which she is very excited about, & that i have time off work.

So she knows something different is happening and I cannot wait to see her face Christmas morning when she realises Santa has also brought a dolls house & bits for her kitchen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now