Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for an 8 year old girl?

(8 Posts)
MrsMushroom Thu 20-Dec-12 06:44:59

My DD is 8 and my younger DD is 5. We Were at a gathering yesterday where we met some mates we had not seen for years. They all had their DC with them too and one couple had an 8 year old son.

My older DD preferred to spend time with the younger little girls rather than the boy her own age. S she was with 2 little girls of 5 years old....they rubbed along well and invented a game of gathering pebbles and collecting them into jars...and going in the hammock and swinging in turn.

the little boy was on his computer...is my DD immature to be with the smaller girls? Rather than asking the boy to have a go on his comp?

ohfunnyFRANKENface Thu 20-Dec-12 06:46:16

Does she have friends that are boys who are her own age?

MrsMushroom Thu 20-Dec-12 06:47:44

No...all her mates are girls. Of her own age....this little lad was a quiet kid...not loud or particularly "boyish"

sparklekitty Thu 20-Dec-12 11:13:50

My experience of girls this age (I teach them) is that they love being with younger children, eiter to look after them of simply play with them. She may not have had any interest in the computer that day. Girls this age especially like playing imaginative games with little rules etc.

I wouldn't worry at all, sounds perfectly normal and delightful little game

MrsMushroom Thu 20-Dec-12 11:36:38

Thanks Sparkle....it is young yet I know. Sometimes, I see girls of 9 who are listening to a lot of pop music and seem quite grown up. DD is a young 8. I should be glad probably.

wheredidiputchristmas Thu 20-Dec-12 12:34:59

Your DD sounds like my DD1 (who will be is 9 in a month). She has 'boy' friends at school but is still a very young 8yr old.

It doesn't bother me as I like the fact she is still being a child rather then a teenager. If you think back to when you were 8 you probably the same I know I was. They have plenty of time to be a grownup and not much being a child.

MrsMushroom Thu 20-Dec-12 12:39:57

WheredidIput yes...I was young too....I remember catching frogs in a ditch at 13! I was still playing with dolls too!

LookingForNewName Thu 20-Dec-12 12:50:10

I would say it is normal for her to want to play out side rather than on the computer, my dd can be in a room full of kids playing on the wii etc and she would rather be out in the garden on her own or round up some others to play. She is just not interested in computer games.

Also I think its quite normal for little girls to gravitate towards younger children as another poster has suggested, maybe they where all a little more like minded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now