Talk

Advanced search

Thumb sucking

(6 Posts)
clairemum22 Tue 18-Dec-12 21:32:16

Wondered if anybody could help me. I took my dd (2 yrs 7 months) to the dentist today - only the second time she has been and again, she refused to open her mouth!
Anyway, the dentist made a big thing that I had to stop her sucking her thumb NOW, by putting that horrible tasting stuff on her nails if necessary. Both at daytime and at night.
I asked the health visitor last month, when dd had her 2 year check, and she said not to worry until she was older.
Anyway, does anybody have any advice? Is the dentist right? I can't believe that nail stuff is ok for under 3's but I will have a look at it.
She sucks her thumb a lot so going to be a big deal to get her to stop.
Thanks for any help!!

SandyChick Tue 18-Dec-12 21:54:56

I think you need to try to break the habit or at least try to cut it down. Sooner the better really.

My ds (5.4) sucks his thumb. Only at bedtime really. About a year ago we tried to get him to stop and he did for a while but started again.

I've decided now that enough is enough. He is not a baby now and knows he needs to stop. I've told him that he can only suck his thumb at bedtime so If I see him do it any other time then he either goes to bed or stop. He doesn't do it at school because be is aware that 'big boys' don't suck their thumb.

A few of his teeth on the side he sucks on are starting to be affected. I want him to stop before his milk teeth fall out.

clairemum22 Tue 18-Dec-12 21:57:38

Thanks, was thinking about waiting til she's 3 and could understand a bit more but think you're probably right, the earlier the better. Her teeth have been affected already.
Going to be a hard slog though I think hmm

SandyChick Tue 18-Dec-12 22:29:06

I think at that age you need to do it without giving if too much attention and making it an issue.

My ds plays with his ear with one hand and sucks the opposite thumb. We got him playing with both of his ears as a compromise so he can still soothe himself without sucking his thumb. Also he tends to do it when watching tv so instead of pointing the thumb sucking out I'd get him to do something as a distraction to stop it or turn tv off etc go play a game.

Good luck smile

JohnBender88 Wed 19-Dec-12 11:08:30

I sucked my thumb until I was 7. I can't remember if it was excessive but I stopped naturally. My teeth are perfect and in no way wonky and my jaw is where it should be.

It is more difficult to wean off thumb sucking than a dummy. Your daughter will most likely stop naturally or through embarrassment as she gets older like I did.

Mamaski Wed 19-Dec-12 22:10:48

Take a look at Thumbuddy To Love...it is for toddlers and they love it because they get a thumb puppet, story-book, and sticker chart and it is positive instead of the shameful thumb polishes. Google Thumbuddy To Love...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now