Talk

Advanced search

6-months old dd's left eye slightly smaller than the right one.

(10 Posts)
mosaica Sun 16-Dec-12 18:21:38

It looks as if her left eye is more droopy, rather than the eye opening being smaller. Some times its more noticeable than others, at nights for example, when she's more tired, it is very obvious.

Have any of you come across this before, and if so, can anything be done about it? I haven't mentioned it to my gp yet but Im planning to book am appointment before Christmas.

feekerry Sun 16-Dec-12 19:38:58

Hi. I had dd 8 month check up last week and it was something that came up as dd used to have it when tired but recently gone. Hv said its extremely common in young babies esp when tired and that it will get better in time. She said only to worry if i noticed a squint

onemorecoffee Sun 16-Dec-12 19:55:09

my dd had this very noticable when she was a baby and especially when tired.
she is 3 now and its 99% gone. Id say I could still see it until she was about 2, but others probably couldnt, it was only because i knew it was there.
We never took her to gp but could be worth doing if you are worried

sleepdodger Sun 16-Dec-12 20:05:45

We had same and had it checked at 1 year hv once over- wasnt concerned but referred us anyway and the ophthalmic nurse said it was just growth rates... Few months later she seems to be right all all balanced now!

BrainGoneAwol Sun 16-Dec-12 21:09:56

If it is a minor squint (only really shows when she's tired) it can be easily fixed. I was born with one and remember wearing an eye patch for a while when at home to exercise the weak eye.

You'd never know now unless you looked really hard and I happened to be sleep deprived... hmm

MrsMushroom Mon 17-Dec-12 13:18:11

is it her eyelid that droops? The upper one?

Karoleann Mon 17-Dec-12 21:16:42

You need a referral for this, if the droopy lid is covering part of the pupil, it can permanently affect her vision - deprivation amblyopia
It also could be that their is a problem with something behind the right eye, causing it to appear larger.
It is probably nothing, but you need a referral to an ophthalmologist.

JuliesSistersCousinsAuntsCat Mon 17-Dec-12 21:20:35

My DS has this and was much more noticeable as a young baby. He is nearly 2 and only does it when he is very tired. I think it evens out eventually.

mosaica Tue 18-Dec-12 09:29:24

Great, thank you so much!its very reassuring to hear its likely to be a problem she'll grow out me. But as some of you have suggested, I'll take her to our gp too. Karolean, her eyelid doesn't cover her pupil so i don't think unlikely to affect her vision, but I'll ask the gp about that when i visit.

bishboschone Thu 20-Dec-12 10:20:09

If it is the eyelid it's called ptosis. My son has it . It can be fixed if its covering the eye and affecting vision. We have seen a plastic surgeon and we are going to wait another year before we decide .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now