Talk

Advanced search

TV yes or no?

(8 Posts)
Jayne266 Sun 02-Dec-12 23:45:28

My 5 month old really likes baby tv it's not bad compared to some other shows even I have learnt some things. I feel really guilty for using the "electronic babysitter" but it's the only way I can eat or do some house work. He watches poss just over a hours worth a day how much is too much or should I just not have it on. (nb as per another thread he is not a good napper
so I can't do these things during that time). Any advice or does anyone else use it?

bizzey Mon 03-Dec-12 00:07:22

Happy mummy=Happy baby !!!! do housework/ironiong/stuff in same room for a bit ..DS1 watched alot a bit of telly at that age and is in the top set at secondary school !

I think the important thing to remember is to interact with LO while watching...I use to iron and dance to the music (he was in bouncer so safe !!)

If you were leaving them alone with TV thats different(at least 8 months for that !!!!.......only kidding !)

An hour in one go would be too much stimulation though...try an activity center that they sit in and play some music .

Feeling broody tonight !!! sorry if that was no help !!

HanSolo Mon 03-Dec-12 00:35:27

Pop him in a sling, or a bouncer to watch you whilst you do things- babies love to watch other people.

ZuleikaD Mon 03-Dec-12 13:04:06

Supposed to be none at all under 2 years old, and then only half an hour per day. I don't understand why you can only eat if he's watching tv?

rrreow Mon 03-Dec-12 13:35:12

I believe the under 2 thing is 'there is no proven benefit for children under 2 to watch tv' (and I think opinions are divided about whether it's bad).

I'd say if you're using tv responsibly (as it sounds like you are), then it's a good way of getting some necessary stuff done as long as the tv doesn't start to stand in for quality baby-parent time (which it doesn't sound at all from what you describe! but I think that's where the 'it's bad' opinions come from).

I second the opinions not to leave such a young baby alone in front of tv though. As long as you're in the same room I think it's fine. I think you're lucky to be honest, at that age my DS was not interested at all in the TV and I couldn't even get 10 minutes to myself (until we got a jumperoo)!

I wouldn't let a baby that young watch that much tv. When my DS was about 10 months, I put some music channels on so we could dance around together for about 30 minutes.
Tv was on in the background when he got older but he would still play with his toys.

Can't you put him in a sling/highchair/baby chair whilst you eat or do other things? Or maybe a blanket on the floor with some toys?

sh77 Mon 03-Dec-12 14:05:07

No tv in our house. Both ds (20 mths) and i coped fine.

Jayne266 Mon 03-Dec-12 14:31:48

Thanx guys some mixed results but I think it confirmed what I was worrying about.
Today is a new day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now