Talk

Advanced search

What age is normal for starting to get 'into' teddies/soft toys?

(15 Posts)
Lougle Sat 01-Dec-12 20:54:02

What age is it normal to start, and what age is it normal to fade?

lljkk Sat 01-Dec-12 20:57:16

I don't think there is a normal.

DS1: never (he's 13 now, so pretty sure he never will be bothered)
DD: 8 months until never (will never fade, I reckon)
DS2: 5/6yo - never (I reckon)
DS3: Never will get into them, not really, just the odd moment of play (I reckon, he's only 4 now).

alisarah Sat 01-Dec-12 21:00:53

dd is really into hers now at 18 mo - probably started about three months ago

hazeyjane Sat 01-Dec-12 21:01:19

dd1 became attached to a monkey blanket at just under a year, and she still sits chewing it and cuddling her bunny at 6 (7 in March)

dd2 never got attached to a particular soft toy, but has always loved any sort of cuddly, and now sleeps with several on a rotation basis. Her and her friends take them into school to 'talk' to each other (in very squeaky high pitched voices) she is 5 (6 in May)

ds doesn't really 'get' cuddlies, although he likes to stroke tags. he is 2.4

ZebraInHiding Sat 01-Dec-12 21:01:45

Ds1, has had on and off moments , is now seven and more off than on

Ds2, has loved a particular one sine about six months, is now five and pretty much over the day to day need but still loves it dearly whenever it is unearthed and wants it when. Needing comfort.

DD, loves her babies and has since oneish, but has no,particular favourite, now two. She will always love her babies though I think.

CMOTDibbler Sat 01-Dec-12 21:08:27

DS has never had an attachement/particular interest in them, and is 6

DameMargotFountain Sat 01-Dec-12 21:11:58

DD 'loved' a teddy at 9mths..she still loves him now and his 1 million friends

Lougle Sat 01-Dec-12 21:22:05

So quite a range, then. DD2 is 5.3 and only in the last two weeks, has started showing an interest in soft toys.

blanksquit Sat 01-Dec-12 21:24:42

DD has had a huge attachment to her many soft toys - starting around 18 months, now age 7. They all have names and she's devastated if we lose one. They're like her own little family and she makes collars, hats, tiaras, beds for them.

Bagofspiders Sat 01-Dec-12 21:26:54

Funnily enough I realised today that DS has got into teddies, well a teddy. He's nearly 18 months and has named a bear (that he's had all his life but ignored up till now) the same name as DSS! He's always had another little soft toy in his cot but tonight insisted it was 'dss bear'!

Bagofspiders Sat 01-Dec-12 21:28:33

To answer your question, as you've probably worked out from all the responses, there isn't a norm.

mewkins Sat 01-Dec-12 21:31:51

Dd 2.3 has always had a huge attachment to teddies. She has one that she takes eveywhere and about 30 others that she talks to a plays tea parties etc with. Now she is in a big bed she loves having them all at the end of the bed.

BabiesNeedInstructions Sat 01-Dec-12 23:41:02

Ds 23mo has 5 that have to go in his cot with him, of which one particular bear is first among equals. He loves this one so much I got scared and bought a spare, but I hope we never have to use it because it looks suspiciously clean and fresh compared to the tatty old original.

MysteriousHamster Sun 02-Dec-12 01:10:17

DS didn't take any notice of his until he was at least a year+. He grew attached to Iggle Piggle and George Pig plushes first (recognised them off the TV I suppose, not that he watches that much...). Now he's nearly 2 and a half, and loves his teddies, a random plush baby, elmo, noddy, other random ones. Usually has an assortment in bed with him and is quite caring about them.

Neohte Mon 20-May-13 14:46:17

Check this blog out, very interesting and quite an eye opener.

http://www.zimbio.com/Panda/articles/N-9Ikou-EBP/Cuddly+Toys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now