Talk

Advanced search

dd (5) said tonight she sometimes wishes she was someone else...

(4 Posts)
Melmagpie Tue 20-Nov-12 22:15:28

... she didn't say it in a sad way but it's made me feel a bit sad. She said sometimes if she's scared or something she wishes she was one of her friends instead. And, on a lighter note, that she wishes she were her favourite characters from books and films - which is more funny. I'm sure it's fine and as I said she wasn't in a sad mood about it - just chatty. But it's stayed with me... Anyone else had this?

RillaBlythe Tue 20-Nov-12 22:19:44

Yea my dd who is 4 has said it about friends. I feel like she Is saying she isn't happy being herself etc but I think it is much more experimental than that - trying the idea on for size sort of thing.

Melmagpie Tue 20-Nov-12 22:21:12

you're probably right - feels like a girl thing though and REALLY don't want her to not like any aspect of herself as she grows up.

RillaBlythe Tue 20-Nov-12 22:29:01

Yes I know & I react to it fearing the same thing. But I wonder if it comes more out of beginning to be aware of all the differences & possibilities there are & less out of a dissatisfaction with herself. If that makes sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now