Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to react to everything with crying?!

(3 Posts)
waitingimpatiently Tue 20-Nov-12 20:17:29

My DD (2yrs 1m) reacts to every negative with crying, shouting, screaming and whinging. It's often 'I want daddy' even if its daddy who is dealing with her.
Is this normal? Its getting harder and harder to deal with, especially the 'I want daddy', I already feel inadequate as a mum... What can I do to stop this??

blindinglight Tue 20-Nov-12 20:32:56

It seems pretty normal in this household. We get "I want {insert whoever is not there, including the dog} back"

My guess is distraction, more attention and praise with good behaviour etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda. Wish it was that easy...

amazingmumof6 Tue 20-Nov-12 20:40:11

oh dear the overreacting. lots of cuddles. tell her no shouting.

my kids used to do the same - crying "mummy" as they were sitting on my lap...so annoying

I find they do calm down if you just ask/ repeat back what they say.
"you want daddy?" " yes" "good, here's daddy. please calm down" "but I want daddy" "do you want daddy?" "yes" "ok, here's daddy. stop crying" and so on....

it is annoying, but it will reassure her that you understand what she wants - then try and distract her with a task/book etc

don't feel redundant, it's very natural for kids this age to get very much attached to daddy - it means she knows who she is and trusts him and loves him very much!
make them spend time without you and enjoy your freedom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now