Talk

Advanced search

2years 2months, won't sit still at toddler group

(11 Posts)
ChloesFurball Tue 20-Nov-12 18:16:10

My DS loves toddler group. But he just won't sit down at song time. He joins in with that little bunnies thingy and any others that interest him but won't sit on my lap, preferring to run around the room Sometimes that encourages the other kids of various ages and I feel like a pariah. I try to sit him down but he wriggles and protests.
He knows1 to 20 and some of the alphabet; we think he is bright but is the above something to worry about?

SamSmalaidh Tue 20-Nov-12 18:19:02

I don't think it is something to worry about, but it is a bit unfair if he is disrupting song time for everyone else - maybe take him out when he starts wriggling and protesting?

3littlefrogs Tue 20-Nov-12 18:23:28

He is bored unless he is running around and too young to understand about sitting still for more than a nanosecond.

My boys were exactly the same. We always left the moment they started to disrupt the other children's enjoyment. This is how they learn about how to behave in various settings. It is perfectly normal.

As they got older, they were more inclined to sit still, and had a slightly longer attention span.

Handsfulloffun Tue 20-Nov-12 18:23:49

I dont think you have anything to worry about. Just persist in encouraging him to sit join in and he will get there.
My DT's are 29 months and still dont always join in at song time, and I often spend the 10 mins running around trying to control them.
TBH at the play groups we go to most of the children do this at some point so no one judges, at least they dont if you try to get them to sit down, I think what really pisses people off is when people just sit there and let them run riot.
It is tough though, I left a group early today because 1 DT was attatched to my hair crying and 1 DT was trying to steal food off the side board. It always seems worse when its your DC doing it.

3littlefrogs Tue 20-Nov-12 18:24:40

Mine frequently wanted to sing a completely different song, at full volume. blush.

I was very good at quick exits.

Handsfulloffun Tue 20-Nov-12 18:30:48

grin 3 frogs, my 2 do that.

I agree with leaving if your disrupting the other childrens enjoyment, much easier to make a sharp exit. If no one is enjoying it, it becomes pointless.

Ginandtonicandamassageplease Tue 20-Nov-12 18:39:58

My DS is exactly the same. In fact he won't sit still for more than a few minutes (sometimes seconds) unless he's really engaged by it. He hates having to sing along and clap or do actions - he says it's silly! I'd look at it as a sign of intelligence if I were you!

Inclusioneer Tue 20-Nov-12 19:25:45

We go to a Montessori parent and toddler group which is quite structured. The DC (all between 18mo and 2.5, mine was 2.1 when he started) have to stay in the centre of the room at the start of the session, firstly playing with toys set out on the rug, then sharing name stickers then singing, for about 20mins at the start of the session. Then they have to spend an hour choosing activities to do sitting at tables. They have to get the activities out themselves and put them away before choosing anything else. The session finishes (after some roudy outside play) with a further 10mins of group time and singing.

The children are not expected to just know how to follow the routines- the parents have to teach them. It is ok (and expected) for them to protest a bit to start with and from time to time (if ill/ tired etc). Parents are reassured not to feel embarassed (or whatever) if their child is having a bit of a wobbly. You just encourage your DC to keep trying as it is an integral part of the learning.

I was AMAZED at how quickly ALL the DC settled into the routine of the session. We started in September and now it is an incredibly calm and focussed session. The parents are now being encouraged to sit back and let the DC be increasingly independent with the aim of not having to be involved in the routine at all- just help them with new learning or novel activities.

Sorry- that is a bit of a ramble. I am trying to say that I think if you persevere in trying to get your DS to participate, he will. Although that may only work in an environment where all the parents are presevering.

lollipoppi Tue 20-Nov-12 19:30:51

Oh my gosh I could have wrote this thread myself, infact I was just having the exact conversation with my DP about it which led me to the behaviour/development thread!! Spooky!!
My DS is EXACTLY the same, I'm worried he has a short attention span, but like my DP just pointed out DS will happily sit at home reading, playing with train tracks and building block towers taller than himself so he feels we have nothing to worry about.

It's just when we are out at playgroups ect he seems to turn into a hyperactive wild child!!

CecilyP Tue 20-Nov-12 19:54:36

He's 2 years 2 months. Stop worrying. There is a tendancy these days to do things that are suitable for older children, for younger and younger children. If you DS is disrupting the others who really like to concentrate, just take him out for this part of the session.

Smokedsalmonbagel Tue 20-Nov-12 20:33:11

DS2 is also 2 years and 2 months and also runs round like a mad thing at toddler group.

Just give him time, he will settle down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now