Talk

Advanced search

Late walkers - feel alienated from other mums with kids same age

(8 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Tue 20-Nov-12 14:22:42

I know it sounds daft but dtds are not walking at 15 months - cruising well and showing all the signs. dtd2 has stood unaided, bending up and down for 2 months and has taken 4 steps at a time but sporadically, dtd1 has just started to stand unaided but is very sturdy on her feet when I hold her hand but won't let go.

I know they all develop differently but we're being left behind socially. It's not bothered me at all until now, but other mums who I have shared the growing up with at baby groups are moving on and going out on day trips that dtds and I cannot do - walks that aren't pushchair friendly etc.

How can I encourage walking? They have soft sole shoes for when we're out - jojo maman bebe ones - but I'm wondering if Clarks Cruisers would be better at this stage as they are so close but often trip on the soft shoes (they've just gone into 12-18month ones so bit on the big side).

I know the advice is bare feet but wonder if anyone has any experience of them helping give a firmer base?

I know it will come but I guess dd1 walking at 12 months, and very confidently - she just stood up one day and walked like she'd done it forever - it seems to be taking ages.

Nenufar Tue 20-Nov-12 14:27:29

My DS didn't walk until he was almost 2. I know what you mean about feeling alienated from others who have children who can walk. It's also really hard at this time of year when the ground is so wet, so places like parks are no good with non-walkers.

No real advice, I'm afraid. My DS just walked when he was ready. Just wanted to say I've been there too.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 20-Nov-12 14:37:01

Thank you. I feel guilty as having two of them they don't get all the practice walking round holding my hands that dd1 got. At least people have given up asking if they're walking yet! lol

AddictedtoCrunchies Tue 20-Nov-12 14:42:29

DS didn't walk until 15 months and I took a lot of stick but stuck to my mantra 'he'll do it when he's ready'. And he did. He was in Clark's cruisers.

I've stuck to that ever since with everything. I refused to 'potty train' him and stuck to my guns when all around were chasing their offspring with potties every 15 minutes. When he was 2.8 he said he didn't want to wear nappies any more and within a week was dry. At 2.10 he said he didn't want a nappy at night and has been dry since. But refused to poo on the loo until he turned 4 when he said "big boys don't use nappies" and that was that.

I also refused to pressure him into writing at nursery apart from his name despite other mum's telling me he'd be behind at school. He wrote a birthday card for a friend this morning with me telling him which letters to write and he's only been at school 8 weeks.

Please trust your judgement and just ignore ignore. They WILL do it when they're good and ready smile

BobbiFleckmann Tue 20-Nov-12 14:44:08

one of mine didn't walk until 16mths and pretty much immediatley afterwards was coming out with sentences like "helicopter up sky" (it was a seagull, but good effort) so don't worry about it

YouSeveredHead Tue 20-Nov-12 14:46:41

Seriously do not worry about it, once they start they do not stop smile

PrincessScrumpy Tue 20-Nov-12 14:47:18

Thank you - I know it's normal and I completely agree with letting them do things when ready - dd1 was potty trained at 22months, this was NOT me pushing she just freaked out about pooing in her nappy so it was the only way. I really was not ready but she was so we went for it. Hard not to compare to sibling.

Honsandrevels Tue 20-Nov-12 14:50:31

I'm surprised parents of 15 month olds would want to go on a pushchair free walk! My dd2 is 21 months and I wouldn't! With twins it would be impossible to carry both for long when they get tired surely? I think your friends are being a bit unfair. Are there not other walks you can all go on together?

Both mine were late walkers. They just walked one day. It will happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now