Talk

Advanced search

How to teach ds to stay close

(9 Posts)
BlingLoving Tue 13-Nov-12 07:46:55

Ds is 18 months. Very active and curious. But his desire to escape is becoming a real pain for us. Obviously, when out and about etc we hold onto him or put him in buggy etc and he's learning quite well. But I can't get him to stay where we are when our. For example yesterday we were in a cafe that has a small at area. My friend's dc were happy ton play with the toys but ds just wanted to leave. He kept running to he door and going out. He will come back if I don't follow him but I can only do that if I can secretly see him.

I can't grab him and force him to stay somewhere when we are out as unless I hold him down there's no way to keep him where he is.

I do t know what o do. It's incredibly frustrating and I am starting to find that people are giving me looks that make it clear that they think I should have more control. I wish I did but I dont know how. Advice please?!

MrsCantSayAnything Tue 13-Nov-12 07:49:07

How are his playing skills and concentration generally? Does he play for decent periods at home?

ZuleikaD Tue 13-Nov-12 07:49:56

With a toddler of that age you just have to stay with them if they're an explorer - sorry. In a cafe that'll mean following him around and making sure he doesn't wander off. It's not terribly relaxing but it's just the way of it. It'll improve as he gets older and understands/remembers a prohibition for longer, but I still wouldn't let my DD 3.7 wander around a cafe by herself in case she wandered out of the door (not to mention getting under people's feet etc). Why not just pop him in one of their highchairs and get him a drink.

RillaBlythe Tue 13-Nov-12 07:55:11

I think that's an age thing. Endure. Put in highchair with raisins.

exoticfruits Tue 13-Nov-12 08:00:36

It is an age thing. A cafe is not a place to wander in. I agree- put in a high chair and strap in. Make sure they have something to occupy them. Do it for short periods to start with.

RillaBlythe Tue 13-Nov-12 08:02:00

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/1606655-Advice-needed-keeping-toddler-by-your-side

MrsCantSayAnything Tue 13-Nov-12 08:03:54

Oh I see he's only 18 months! I misread and thought he was 28 months. He's very small as other have said...

BlingLoving Tue 13-Nov-12 12:53:19

Thanks all. I feel slightly less like a bad parent now! grin. I do the high chair with books thing all the time but I wish he would just deign to play in the designated, children-friendly play area rather than insisting on being anywhere else! I don't expect him to stay quietly by my side in marks and spencer but this cafe is supposed to be perfect for parents with small children!! Sigh

beela Tue 13-Nov-12 13:00:08

Glad it's not just me grin

Other children seem glued to their parents' sides, my DS (25mo) has no fear and just goes wandering. He also doesn't respond to the 'bye bye, I'm going now' - he just says 'bye Mummy, see you later!'

I like to tell myself that he has lots of independence and confidence, and that these will be great assets in later years. I tell myself this while I am following him around and looking at other parents sitting down drinking their coffee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now