Talk

Advanced search

19 month old with seperation anxiety all of a sudden

(4 Posts)
waffles1 Mon 12-Nov-12 14:35:53

My ds has just turned 19 months and seems to be experiencing seperation anxiety, calling mummy constantly and wanting to be picked up a lot. Also, for the first time ever cried when i dropped him at nursery this morning which broke my heart! He's been there for 8 months and always waves to me and says bye bye as i leave!
Also he has had a few tears when i've put him down for his nap but so far these have lasted less than 2 minutes before he's asleep and i haven't needed to go back in to him. Touch wood, bedtime has not been affected (fingers crossed i haven't just jinked this!!)
My question is, what is the best way to tackle seperation anxiety as it's thrown me a bit as he hasn't acted like this previously and i have got myself a bit worried about it all. Thanks MN's!

SamSmalaidh Mon 12-Nov-12 14:37:54

DS went through awful separation anxiety at the same age. I think the best thing you can do is try to be as reassuring as possible, lots of cuddles and picking him up etc, and it will pass.

waffles1 Mon 12-Nov-12 14:39:15

Also forgot to add that he's been waking up crying from his nap and in the morning but is fine after a while, but he used to wake up chirpy and babbling, guessing this is all part of the developmental leap???

waffles1 Mon 12-Nov-12 14:40:02

Thanks sam, cuddles in abundance then!! how long did it last do you remember?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now