Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nightmare bedtimes

(5 Posts)
newname2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:58:02

DS is 3 and 5 months. He goes to nursery 4 days a week, and I've been told many times by staff that "he is so good, lovely, wish we had more like him", etc. With DH and I he is boisterous but manageable. He eats well, says please and thank you, plays nicely with other children and, most of the time, does as he is told.

However, bedtimes at the moment are nothing less than a nightmare. This evening he scratched, kicked, and punched DH in the face several times, all whilst laughing hysterically. DH is convinced that his behaviour isn't normal. I suspect it is, but that we are not managing it very well.

Please reassure me that there's nothing wrong with him, and please, please could someone suggest something that might help!!

Thank you!

DoubleYew Sun 11-Nov-12 22:06:58

Sounds to me like he is not tired enough and so is pratting about, unfortunately in a way that is sore. Either keep him up and engage in some safe rough and tumble to get it out of his system. Or have a re-jig of bedtime routinue focusing on quiet story, backrub, soft lights, relaxing music, maybe even in a different room.

Or he could be overtired hence the hysteria. Never simple is it?

I don't think its abnormal, you just need to do something differently to distract him away from the kickboxing.

Runningblue Sun 11-Nov-12 22:21:02

Ill reassure you and say weve had it too, but weve managed to claw it back touch wood!
I'd go the other way and say is he overtired? I wouldn't imagine he's having a nap during the nursery day is he?
Maybe a complete review of what you do from the moment you pick him up
Eg does he have even a short nap in the car- this spells disaster for a calm bedtime with DS 3.5. - enough to recharge batteries but makes him have a mad second wind..
Does his time at home after nursery include wind down before you even get to the bedtime routine bit?
We found a nightly talk in the bath about what's a good bedtime - combined with a star on a chart in the morning- helped in the last bout..
"a lovely bath, brush our teeth, choose two books, we read them, you lie down, mummy kisses you night night'
.....!

girliefriend Sun 11-Nov-12 22:28:37

What is his evening routine and bedtime?

I would be livid if my dd was punching and kicking me, what punishment is he getting?

My guess is its overtiredness but also on some level you are 'allowing' this behaviour.

I would have a set routine, any mucking about would be dealt with (but then I am quite strict at bedtime as I don't want it to eat into a bit of me time grin ) firmly, clear consequences etc.

newname2012 Thu 22-Nov-12 21:48:47

Sorry, I haven't been back on here for a little while....thank you for the replies.

Things have calmed down a lot in the last week or so. DS is going to bed without much fuss, and he gets up once or twice being a little bit silly but a stern voice sends him straight back to bed!!

So it seems as though that particular battle is over for now....no doubt there will be another one along in the next few months! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now