Talk

Advanced search

Toddler won't really drink anything

(13 Posts)
timothyclaypole Sun 11-Nov-12 20:38:20

I wasn't sure where to put this so forgive me if it seems to be in an odd place!

DS is just 3. He's never been great at drinking anything other than milk (he was bf till he self-weaned at 19m) and that was usually at bed and nap time.

He dropped his nap a while ago so now it's very hard to get him to drink anything during the day. At bedtime we recently stopped his bottle (he had that from when DS2 was born last year as his sleep went MENTAL. I felt so bad about it, and finally got him onto a cup last month), and he has now been refusing bedtime milk for a couple of weeks. On the one hand that is really positive, but on the other, it was his only really big drink of the day.

A little while ago he started asking for juice. I'm not keen at all but gave in (juice mixed with water) as it's liquid. Now he doesn't want that. Water he barely ever drinks.

If i ask him if he wants a drink, he asks for warm milk, Then will have a tiny amount and leave it.

A psychologist friend has said that I should make having a drink non-negotiable, but I can't force him. I've never made him eat, or finish his meals, though he eats really really well.

He's at nursery three days a week (they say he drinks water throughout the day but don't keep an eye on the amounts). On one of his days at home with me last week, he drank about 100ml of milk all day.

I'm really worried, esp that he'll get urine infections. DH just says "if he's thirsty, he'll drink".

Oh and he eats a fair amount of fruit (so juicy food) though not as much as he used to.

He appears to be perfectly healthy. Should I be worried?

timothyclaypole Sun 11-Nov-12 21:07:15

Bump?

timothyclaypole Sun 11-Nov-12 21:19:44

Bump again?

forevergreek Sun 11-Nov-12 21:22:09

Try not to worry to much and continue offering lots. Remember that water is also in foods. Melon is particularly good, does he like that? Or other watery fruits like oranges/ pineapple ( any really)

Soup?

BillyBollyBandy Sun 11-Nov-12 21:27:47

Does he wee much? He is probably getting a lot of fluid from his food.

What about squash? no added sugar squash might be worth a try?
I agree there is no point forcing him. Maybe try with soup, melon, cucumber, anything with lots of fluid in.

timothyclaypole Sun 11-Nov-12 21:28:20

Thanks Forever. He goes on and off melon, but I'll try and buy it more. He does like soup but he can't really have it everyday! We are having soup for lunch tomorrow.

I'll put more milk on his cereal too as he drinks that out of the bowl like DH....

timothyclaypole Sun 11-Nov-12 21:30:09

That's another thing I forgot to mention "Billy", be can go ages without having a wee. He's maybe had 4 wees today? Don't know the average but it doesn't seem like much to me.

timothyclaypole Sun 11-Nov-12 21:30:40

Oh and I've tried squash but he's not interested.

Runningblue Sun 11-Nov-12 21:31:00

I get your concern, I would be too. My DS aged 3.5 has never been a great drinker, and has phases of drinking very little...

Can you be cunning with your approach?
Eg let him choose a water bottle like a sistema for you dp and him?
Fill that with water at the beginning of the day and say its his special bottle to drink when he fancies? He might get used to drinking without feeling pressure of you asking him to drink?
Does he like straws and ice in his drinks? DS is seduced by. Bit of exotic finishing to his drinks! We also make homemade slush puppies by slinging a glass of squash with ice in the liquidiser..
Does he like lollies? We do that as an activity with him using DIY lolly moulds. We make them with homemade smoothies, diluted fruit juice or squash.
DS thinks that a real treat- but I know its getting a good bit of fluid into him.
How about homemade soups or smoothies- yes not a drink as such, but both feature a decent amount of liquid...

Runningblue Sun 11-Nov-12 21:32:58

Sorry forgot to say we all had a water bottle and DS loves it when we all go for walk or picnic and have our bottles.
He also likes hot weak squash or hot orange juice- half boiling water and half oj - as 'cosy' drinks.

Runningblue Sun 11-Nov-12 21:34:05

Some x posting sorry!

Muffinpig Sun 11-Nov-12 21:53:39

Sounds just like my DS, also nearly 3, and never been a big drinker. He probably only does 3 wees a day but don't smell strong and he's never had a urine infection so I try not to worry too much.

He loves straws, I buy a huge pack of multicoloured ones and he gets to choose the colour at every meal. He has weak squash with meals but I try and get him to just have water between meals. I make him have a few sips of his drink before his meals/snacks so I do kind of force him a little bit in this way, but if I didn't I'm not sure he would drink anything.

He doesn't drink any milk now except for when I can get him to have a hot chocolate (warm milk with chocolate Nesquik) and on cereal. But he loves yoghurt, cheese, custard so gets lots of dairy anyway.

If I think he is getting a bit dehydrated I will get him a carton of juice that you drink through a straw and he'll usually finish that.

roybruce Thu 16-Feb-17 07:31:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now