Talk

Advanced search

can my 8 month old talk?

(18 Posts)
TessTing123 Sat 10-Nov-12 03:17:51

I would swear she says mama and knows that's me.

She also seems to say car, bum and her brother's name in context.

Has the sleep deprivation finally got to me?

TessTing123 Sat 10-Nov-12 03:21:58

And poo. she says poo.

MrsGrieves Sat 10-Nov-12 03:30:54

Nah, they can talk at this age. Apparently I could talk at 7months, it's certainly possible.

MrsGrieves Sat 10-Nov-12 03:35:35

According to my sister I was saying "more monkey" etc at christmas to a clapping monkey, I was born in April.

I do remember my Mum saying that I used to freak people out on the bus by talking etc grin.

48Hours Sat 10-Nov-12 03:40:25

Yup they can talk at this age, well dd did mainly babbley words but quite clear as to what they were.

TessTing123 Sat 10-Nov-12 03:47:10

Wow. I don't think my others talked until much later.

I shall call this one my child prodigy and sign her up for mensa without delay.

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 10-Nov-12 07:56:20

Yes. My older DD certainly did. She was saying Mama and bird.

At ten months she said "Bumbob" Spongebob.

She was talking in long sentences at 15 months. She still talks all the time now she's 8 and has a gift for literacy.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 10-Nov-12 08:13:07

dd1 started at 9mo with "dad" and "cat".
obviously we had to wait months for "mum". Sentences by 15mo, which freaked people out.

dd2 OTOH was silent until about 20mo, and is still pretty unintelligible at 2, so it's clearly nothing we're doing at home grin

Riddo Sat 10-Nov-12 08:15:42

According to my Mum, I started talking at 7 months.

BraaaaaainsButterfield Sat 10-Nov-12 08:18:34

At about that age D could clearly say "garden" which was quite impressive! He also used dada in context from quite early on.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 10-Nov-12 08:21:34

My daughter can say 'mama' and 'dada' and has just turned nine months. I also think she said 'bye bye' yesterday.

happybubblebrain Sat 10-Nov-12 08:22:59

My dd started talking about this age. By age 1 we were having long conversations. At 18 months she could say words like psychological. She started talking and has never stopped.

FrankWippery Sat 10-Nov-12 08:29:28

One of mine could talk pretty much by about 10m. Another one of mine was barely understandable at 3.

Other two were definitely saying mama at around 6m. But that was it.

VolumeOfACone Sat 10-Nov-12 08:31:12

I could talk before I could sit up.

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 10-Nov-12 09:07:08

I love a freaky talking neonate! People often say "no way" but if you've been the parent of a chatty baby, then it's obvious...they can!

ThickCut Sat 10-Nov-12 09:15:17

Ds1 was talking very early, 1st words around 6 months, was talking in sentences by his 1st birthday. I. can still remember his first birthday cake, chocolate with chocolate stars on (milk dark and white stars) he said he wanted the brown big star then the small white star.
I took for granted his speech, didn't realise how well he could talk for his age. Now we have ds2 at 10 months, just sounds, no dada's or baba's or anything.

Goldmandra Sat 10-Nov-12 10:14:16

My DD1 was saying quite a few words simple words like mama, no, get down by 8 months and more complicate words by 10 months.

The best bit of her talking early was that she was very tiny for her age and at ten months was just about in 3-6 mth clothes. That did freak people out a bit smile

My HV told me she was gifted at 18 mths and told us we had to get her watching older children's tv and send her to private school hmm Fortunately I'd already decided she was a fruitcake!

DD1 did lots of things ridiculously early around that time but, aged 15, is now an able, but within the bounds of normal, student.

Having a baby who can talk early definitely makes life easier, OP. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of parenting smile

BertieBotts Sat 10-Nov-12 10:16:27

My friend's DD had a couple of words at 6 months, it was most bizarre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now