Talk

Advanced search

4 year old keeps biting younger brother

(7 Posts)
WilliamItWasReallyNothing Fri 09-Nov-12 18:10:12

Please can anyone offer some advice on how to stop DD (4) from biting her younger brother (nearly 2). This has happended around 4 times in the last couple of weeks and today she seems to have bitten his facesad. It always happens when I am out the room and she always lies about it / denies it. I don't seem to be able to find an effective way of dealing with it - any ideas?

exoticfruits Fri 09-Nov-12 19:28:31

Get down to her level and look her right in the eye and tell her firmly that you know she did it and she is not to do it ever again. Get her to repeat it. Be a dragon!

exoticfruits Fri 09-Nov-12 19:29:26

Give her a consequence for if she does do it again-take away something she really wants to do and carry it through.

WilliamItWasReallyNothing Fri 09-Nov-12 19:32:04

Yep, I've done that! Maybe I wasn't dragon enough

I've talked about why it is wrong, how it will hurt her brother, how it upsets me and her brother etc etc. she just says sorry, no she won't do it again and then does it againsad

exoticfruits Fri 09-Nov-12 19:33:52

Don't bother talking it through-it is non negotiable-she doesn't bite anyone -full stop!

WilliamItWasReallyNothing Fri 09-Nov-12 20:07:21

TBH I really thought I had done that. I have taken toys/ privileges away for that day. And although she connects the biting with the punishment it still has no impact on her actions.

Sheebarahma Fri 09-Nov-12 21:05:07

Taking her toys away will temporary stop her from biting as the things are taken for some time and after sometimes she forgets all about it. What you have to do is to introduce naughty step here. By this technique u r conveying the child that now its enough and she can't get away with it. Choose a corner of your house away from all distractions,place a chair for her to sit.that will be her naughty spot.whenever she bites give her a warning once and the second time she does it kneel down to your daughter make an eye contact stay calm and say in a firm voice mom gave u a warning and u didn't listen to that so u r going to the naughty spot.explain only once and take her to the naughty spot,make her sit on the chair and set the timer. 1 min for every year so it will be 4 mins.without talking just walk away. She will soon get up from the chair here is your patience testing time. Without uttering a word just make her sit back on the chair remember without talking to her. Even if she does it a 100 times be consistent and follow through. In this technique u r making her understand she can't get away with this.even if it takes an hour go for it. Its beneficial for the long run. She will realise that you are the boss. If she gets up from the chair stop the timer set it again. Make her sit through 4 mins consistently. In between no communication please. Just take her and put her back.then when 4 mins are over again kneel down and explain why she was put there and ask for an apology. When she says sorry hug her and kiss her. Believe me this is tried and tested. If you are consistent this will work wonders. All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now