Talk

Advanced search

HELP! DS 8 mo is extremely clingy

(5 Posts)
PekkaBoo Fri 09-Nov-12 16:04:16

I am at my wits end, DS 8mo has not let go of my trouser leg today. He has followed me around the whole day, sometimes crying, wanting to be picked up. As soon as I pick him up, he is fine, stops crying and starts playing with my hair etc. This has been going on for 4 weeks now. I can't even get dressed as he clings to my legs. I have to stand on the bed in order to get dressed.

I know babies go through separation anxiety at this age, but is it supposed to be this extreme? Have I not shown him enough love? Have I spoiled him? We play peek-a-boo and practice leaving the room but it hasn't worked. I have tried a sling but he is too heavy and keeps pulling my hair.

When I play on the floor with him he is good for 5 mins, then wants me to hold him.

amazingmumof6 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:09:58

yes it is that extreme, he is normal

SomewhereInCanada Fri 09-Nov-12 16:11:16

If it's any consolation, my DS is like that too. He won't be held by anyone other than me and DH. It is slowly getting better (DS is 10 months) but he has a cold at the moment so I'm being covered in snot too.

I read somewhere that they want to "recharge our batteries".

I'm trying to see the positive side as the day will come (eventually) when it won't be cool to be seen with me sad

amazingmumof6 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:12:52

hold him and grit your teeth smile you are doing everything perfectly! he's just realized that you are not an extension of him, and is utterly shocked by this discovery!

amazingmumof6 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:25:30

when he plays on the floor and is busy stay with him, but read a book or something. if he wants you to hold him do that. say lovely cuddle! than put him back on the floor, casually, no drama.

you literally have to drop everything and jump when he whistles, which will make him feel secure as he's learning that you are there when he needs you. you are teaching him to trust you by letting him have access to you anytime he wants you!

you are showing him all your love which is why he clings to you!
And yes, this is the time to utterly "spoil" him with hugs, you can never have too many cuddles!

it is frustrating to get nothing done, but this will pass, he'll ease off eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now