Talk

Advanced search

SURELY average 5 yr old (or younger) should be able to bend down and touch their toes? Physios and other's opinion's please!

(10 Posts)
solittletime Wed 07-Nov-12 21:46:23

That's it really.
5.5 yr old DD has never really been able to touch her toes or show good flexibility in general. It's only really occurred to me observing my 2.5 yr old who is naturally flexible, like most other children I know.

I've noticed all my toddler's little friends have this natural flexibility (for lack of a better term!)

So does that mean my eldest has some sort of physical 'problem', or is it just that some people are less bendy than others?

FWIW I was never able to touch my toes, still am not now. Struggle with basic stretches in aerobics - I've always had on and off 'non-specific back pain' and wonder if this is related?

Basically I just want to avoid my daughter suffering with back pain due to postural problems consistently like I do!

Any wise words mumsnetters? ( feel free to tell me to 'Get a grip'!)

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 07-Nov-12 21:50:58

I always thought it was quite normal for some people to be able to touch their toes and others not? I can touch mine, I am an unfit almost 50 year old. DD can't touch hers, she is an extremely fit, supple 22 year old swimmer, marathon runner and triathlete, neither of us have back problems.

difficultpickle Wed 07-Nov-12 21:53:28

Ds is 8 and can't touch his toes. I didn't know until it was picked up in his school medical. Caused by overtight hamstrings apparently which are probably due to a massive growth spurt he has had recently. He has exercises to stretch them.

bamboobutton Wed 07-Nov-12 21:55:12

I've never been able to touch my toes. I can remember a p.e lesson when i was about 7yo and the teacher tried forcing me down! It was agony. I've always put it down to tight tendons or something.

solittletime Wed 07-Nov-12 21:56:26

Well think I got my answer there!
Really I am considered a well balanced person who does not spend her day observing each child's degree of flexibility while walking down the high street!

Mumsnet is just a good place to air such a hmm concern!

I guess I always just wished I was more flexible because I loved dance and drama and spend lots of time striving for bendiness as a young adult!

Should have focused on swimming and athletics!

smaths Wed 07-Nov-12 21:58:57

Worth getting her checked for scoliosis perhaps? I only found out I had it in my late 20s when i visited a chiropractor so it's not always obvious but can impede bending over

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 07-Nov-12 22:00:51

Swimming and athletics haven't got DD anywhere in the toe touching stakes smile.

In my work I have done some back-care training as I do a lot of moving and handling, I am sure we were told that some folk have the necessary flexibility to do it and some don't it's the luck of the draw more than anything else, though I am sure that with the right exercises most of us could get there. Maybe pilates and yoga would help?

This came up when my DD took her first ballet exam aged 6 this year, they had to sit with their legs straight out in front and lean forward to touch their toes, she couldn't do it without bending her knees, we probably need to get her doing some stretches.

solittletime Wed 07-Nov-12 22:03:58

Smaths well I was told I had a bit of scoliosis as a teen. I grew up in Italy where GPs and people in general fuss much more over these things. Many of my friends had 'corrective' physio when I was at school.
No idea that was related to bendiness though!

My mum never could be bothered and tbh I am a pretty healthy adult so it's obviously not that important.

However sometimes I do wonder how nice it would be to be able to do have a 'physical' day (eg gardening) without then suffering the following day.

Anyway thanks for the replies everyone! Going off to bed now.

MrsCantSayAnything Wed 07-Nov-12 22:56:27

OP my older DD is the same! And I am vey flexible so thought she must be too sedentary! This thread is great...it''s set my mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now