Talk

Advanced search

Is there somthing worng?

(6 Posts)
anon80 Tue 06-Nov-12 22:31:36

My DD is 3 and a few times in the past she has cried to come out of her cot at bedtime, we have left her but she has got into such a state she has been actually sick! After the 3rd time of this happening we no longer let it get to that stage and if she wants to come out her cot and we think its going to end up this way we just get her out. ( she is pretty good and rarely does cry to come out) when she is sick i feel she is so terrified and filled with fear i can actually sense it. I always manage to calm her down. latly she seems to alwasy have her hands by or on her mouth ( never in) moslty at dinner times ( and to be fair even when she has had chocolate that she likes) so its not a dislike thing. she ends up being sick- and i feel cos its this hands always by or on her mouth. It has now come to my attention, although im not quite sure when this started for some reason, that she constantly needs a flannel??!!! that she holds on her mouth. all the time! she has just taken it to bed- i could be over thinking this but i feel she thinks that this flannel constantly being held by her mouth will stop her being sick. I could be going OTT but i just feel this behavir may be a little strange- also she has took to drinking water the last couple of days, she never has water. milk, squash pure oj but rarely water, now she seems to be asking for it instead of her usual drinks- also when im now doing her drinks she is always asking for alittle bit all the time- instead of a full bottle that she can just drink what she wants out of. she always has a full bottle of cows milk to go to bed but tonight made a massive deal that only a little bit can be in the bottle and has also asked for ' alittle bit' of water. She has drunk the water to go to sleep instead of the milk, this has not happened before- also she has gone to bed with this flannel- does my little girl have some sort of mouth disorder or an anxiety? or am i just going way OTT and should see how things are in the next couple of days
she has never had a dummy
I belive she has all her teeth too.
im sorry this is so long and thank you if you have gotton to the end.

please give me your advise

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 06-Nov-12 22:37:02

The flannel and hands in/near the mouth thing may just be a comfort thing. Ds has recently started chewing and sucking his fingers (and making himself sick!).

She may want water because she is just thirsty, whereas milk is more filling like a food. I would definitely stop the bedtime bottle and just offer a cup of water before bed instead.

As for the waking up in the night scared, she may just be having a nightmare. Also, have you tried her in a toddler bed yet? Then she may not cry to be let out of the cot, as she will be able to get out of bed herself when she wakes and for instance in the morning she can then play quietly/read a book etc.

Leather Tue 06-Nov-12 22:38:40

If I were you I'd swap her from the cot into a proper bed, ditch the nighttime bottle , she doesnt need a bottle of bedtime milk at her age and if she prefers water over juice that's a good thing!
The flannel thing is probably just a comfort object, like some children have a teddy or a blankly.
Don't worry, I'm sure she's just fine smile

ZuleikaD Wed 07-Nov-12 12:41:09

One way or another she is definitely letting you know that she's ready for some changes. Please, please don't leave her to cry herself sick!

I would move her into a big bed pronto. She really shouldn't be having bottles at this age before bed either so if she seems to be moving away from it by herself and just wants water then let her.

I agree that the flannel is probably just a comfort object - what does she say when you ask her why she likes it?

lisaro Wed 07-Nov-12 12:54:52

Surely she shouldn't be in a cot at 3.

lisaro Wed 07-Nov-12 12:55:50

Sorry, posted too soon. Neither should she be having a bottle at that age. Is this for real?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now