Talk

Advanced search

Forward facing car seat

(5 Posts)
CrispsCrispsCrisps Tue 06-Nov-12 13:36:47

My DS is 10 months and we've just got a forward facing car seat. I have a small two door car (Citroen C2) and it is difficult getting into the back. Is it safe to have the rear facing car seat in the front?

Also, when he's asleep his head lolls to one side. Does anyone know if there is a head support I can buy? It's a Britax car seat

minesapintofwine Tue 06-Nov-12 14:31:32

I am definately not an expert. I think though that the rear facing car seat is ok in front if passenger air bag turned off and he still fits into it. If he's too big I wouldn't do it. Not sure if same for forward facing though if not would wonder how people with vans etc manage. I would ask a Britax seller or the manufacturer itself regarding head support but tbh I wouldn't use one even if his head lolls as they are only meant to be for young babies aren't they? Like I say I am definately not an expert and hopefully someone with more knowledge will advise you but you could go on the Government website.

CrispsCrispsCrisps Tue 06-Nov-12 16:18:34

Good advice. I'll search their site. Thanks

BrightenMyNorthernSky Tue 06-Nov-12 19:08:25

I will start off by saying that I am really quite anti forward facing car seats for young children anyway, and wouldn't put a 10 month old (or even a 2 year old) in one at all.

If you are going to use one (as I accept that most people do), please think very, very carefully before putting it in the front, it is definitely not anywhere like as safe as having it in the back. I understand that in large parts of the US it is illegal for under 13s to travel in front seats due to the damage which airbags can do. You would also need to check that the seat is approved for use in the front seat of your particular car; this is not the same as being approved for use in a rear seat (which is what most retailers will check at the time of sale).

CrispsCrispsCrisps Tue 06-Nov-12 21:33:37

I have decided to put it in the back. Surely it can't be very safe in the front as there is very little protection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now