Talk

Advanced search

5 year old with teddy

(13 Posts)
DontCallMeMummyPig Mon 05-Nov-12 04:23:30

My 5yo DS has had a favourite teddy almost since birth. He's always needed it for sleeping, and if he's tired or upset. Since starting reception in sept, he's grown more and more attached to it. It's the first thing he looks for when he gets home from school and he sobs if he can't find it. He even has it when he has friends over to play. I'm worried he's going to be teased. Is it normal? Should he be growing out of this by now?

BookieMonster Mon 05-Nov-12 04:29:21

Perfectly normal. It's his security and comfort at a time when his life has changed such a lot since starting school. BTW, my 13 year old still has her favourite stuffed toy!

FadBook Mon 05-Nov-12 04:39:22

Very normal. It's a safe security thing to him and he obviously feels safer when teddy is around.

My DP (36) took his teddy on holiday with him up the age if 30 grin smile and he's still got him in prime position on tip of the wardrobe

WankbadgersBreakfast Mon 05-Nov-12 05:23:06

My teddy came to camp with me every year until I graduated secondary. During uni he sat at the head of my bed and came to my boyfriend's. but we blindfolded him in case he saw things that would scar him

He'll be fine!

TheSkiingGardener Mon 05-Nov-12 07:52:57

Totally normal and actually a good thing. It's his security when everything else is changing. He'll need it less as he feels more comfortable with everything

Africagirl1 Mon 05-Nov-12 18:19:53

Be grateful. I know kids who still come home from school and ask for their dummy at that age.

mumeeee Mon 05-Nov-12 20:18:36

Very normal. My eldest DD is 25 and married and her teddy sits on the end of her bed.

colditz Mon 05-Nov-12 20:20:43

Teddy attachment is normal.

iwastooearlytobeayummymummy Mon 05-Nov-12 20:26:23

another vote in favour of teddy here! Two of my DC were very attached to their soft toys. In fact DS 14 still finds his very reassuring when unwell or unsettled. However from about age 9 onwards he would put it somewhere special when friends came for tea. Now it has acquired an ' ironic' status and has been abroad on 3 school trips!

BeerTricksPott3r Mon 05-Nov-12 20:32:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DontCallMeMummyPig Wed 07-Nov-12 14:26:28

Thanks everyone. I'm reassured. smile

Slothlorien Wed 07-Nov-12 14:27:43

My 13 year old cuddles hers every night and takes it for sleepovers

Susieloo Wed 07-Nov-12 14:31:24

My teddy is still sat on in my bed and I'm 36smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now