Talk

Advanced search

7 month old cant get back to sleep

(5 Posts)
broodylicious Sun 04-Nov-12 22:54:24

Hi all,
Our 7 month old dd has always been a rubbish sleeper since the 4 month sleep regression. At her worst - and this lasted 13 whole weeks - she would wake 12/15 times a night. Yes, every night. And it only stopped at that number because either dh or i would give up at 2am and take her downstairs to sleep on our chest (then she would sleep for a few hours).

We had taught her to self soothe just before the regression and she was doing ok. But all that was blown out the window at 16 weeks and she was having none of it!

we found out a few weeks back that she has silent reflux - a possible cause for her continuous waking - and so we tried laying her to sleep on her tummy. She's much better, waking 4/6 times a night now.

However, she cannot self soothe in this position (she would suck her fingers or just feel her other hand to get back to sleep when she was on her back) and if she rolls over, she wakes herself up more and always starts crying.

How did you all teach your babies to self soothe? Particularly if they go to sleep on their front. Please help because we are desperate for better nights!

I don't want to be disrespectful or ungrateful, so please forgive me, but please don't suggest CIO or CC because it is not something we are willing to try.

helibee Mon 05-Nov-12 01:33:08

I'm sorry for you, that sounds hard and very tiring for you all. Is she on any medicine for her reflux. My ds2 is just coming up to 7 months and has reflux. He has been on ranitidine, gaviscon and carobel since he was 6 weeks old. He also has a severe cows milk protein allergy. Since the paediatrician moved him onto neocate (an amino acid formula), he is like a different baby. I would see your GP to see if there is anything else they can do to help you as well.

Does ddsleep in your room? We have ds in a cot and took off the side so his cot was attached to our bed. I found that I can slide him over to me if he needs me. But also as he can hear me and smell me I find he settles himself so much more quickly. (also if she is waking you a lot in the night you are all less likely to be tired if you don't have to get out of bed to see to her) He also has a comfort blanket and this helps him a lot, even when he can't put his dummy back in he can snuggle his blanket.

Does she sleep in a sleeping bag? My friends wee girl sleeps on her front as she has reflux too and she turns her dd's head to the side and puts a dummy in. Her dd now just pushes the dummy back in if it falls out and she is just turned 9 months.

How about co-sleeping? I don't know if that's something you are comfortable with. We always co-sleep with ds2 when he is in pain with his reflux and we find that he sleeps much more deeply that way.

broodylicious Mon 05-Nov-12 22:17:57

Hi bee yes she's been on gaviscon but it's not done anything for her sadly. I went to see the health visitor and then the doctor today to ask for advice because I'm so past the end of my tether with not sleeping and fraught with anxiety over what it could be doing for dd now and in the future. I totally broke down with the hv but she was lovely and reassured me (at that moment anyway) that dd's sleeping issues are not reflective of my ability as a mum and that she looks so healthy and happy so we should be proud. She recommended a dummy and maybe putting on the radio very quietly. The doctor recommended CIO - after I told her we haven't tried it because we don't want to!! - and prescribed ranitidine for her silent reflux.

I think I could just about cope with the one minute crying you suggested. I know she would bawl her little eyes out and we would have screaming but if I were to think its only be for a few nights, I could try it.

She is in her own room now - she moved a few weeks back - and she wears a sleeping bag over a long sleeved sleep suit.

Thanks for your help xxx

helibee Sat 10-Nov-12 00:13:38

I completely understand about CIO or CC. They are not something that we feel comfortable doing either. The ranitidine can take a week to 10 days to work and you will need to get dd weighed every few weeks and dosage adjusted as her weight goes up.

You are a fab mum for not wanting your daughter to be in pain and we all need sleep. Have you noticed that she is worse after certain foods?

Would you try co-sleeping at all or bringing her back into your room or is that not an option?

Send me a message if you want to chat. <<<Big hugs>>

feekerry Sat 10-Nov-12 21:25:38

Hi. Well done for not leaving her to cry. She's not trying to be difficult! How do you get her to sleep at the moment when she first goes to bed? And does she nap in the day? If so how do you currently do this?xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now