Talk

Advanced search

Toddler gagging when offered food

(6 Posts)
RubyrooUK Sun 04-Nov-12 19:17:52

My son (2.2 years) has always been a wonderful eater. He really enjoyed trying things and ate a wide range of them.

Since he turned two, he's become fussier and fussier, refusing most meals. The thing is he doesn't ask for sweet things or anything else. He just wakes up at 11pm saying he is hungry.

So we offer him dinner every night. If he won't eat it, he can have some toast and milk before bed. These are things that are ok but not especially loved. We don't reward him for not eating but try really hard not to react.

But recently if you offer him something and he doesn't want it, he will start gagging and going red like he is about to vomit. We offered him homemade soup tonight and he said "no", pushing it away straight away. We said "are you sure?" showing it to him. He immediately started gagging and then crying hysterically.

This happens more and more when he doesn't want to eat something. It just seems so extreme. Oh and his nursery reports that he always asks for more portions of everything when he is there. Not a hint of gagging. Any advice?

RubyrooUK Sun 04-Nov-12 19:45:55

Anyone? scrapes another meal into the bin

RubyrooUK Mon 05-Nov-12 14:19:24

Really? No-one has a toddler with a strong drama queen streak when it comes to refusing meals? Help!

GreyTS Mon 05-Nov-12 14:26:36

Yes DD1 started this when she was about 2, I honk she realised how anxious it made me when she started gagging on things. To be honest we started to just ignore her, put dinner down in front of her, everyone eating together, if she started gagging we would ignore and continue eating. She stopped after a couple of months and now at 3.6 is back to eating anything. And like yours she never did this with anyone else, with family or in nursery she would eat whatever was offered. She is still a drama queen about everything now though just not food!

GreyTS Mon 05-Nov-12 14:27:31

Honk = think, bizarre auto correct!

RubyrooUK Mon 05-Nov-12 19:59:48

Thanks grey. I am trying to ignore it as I think it has nothing to do with food. It is a control thing, I think, as he also won't take Calpol currently for a cold, when often he happily takes it saying "mmm delicious".

The same toddler has just put on a performance of such dramatic proportions at the doctors that she worried he was in serious respiratory distress and made DH stay there two and a half hours for monitoring.

He has come home with a LITRE of Calpol and a LITRE of Ibuprofen on prescription. He has a bit of a cold and DH just wanted to check he didn't have an ear infection.

Despite being "extremely ill", DS is currently bouncing on the sofa and laughing when being told off. He is shouting "it's not funny!" repeatedly and deliberately doing naughty things like kicking me (he isn't actually a very naughty toddler in general). Good god.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now